engine swap for S-10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2003, 07:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post engine swap for S-10

So since I have already seen a question for a v8 swap in a truck i have come up with a question.

Well right now there is a 87 s-10 truck sitting in my garage with pretty much no options. That means no A/C, Power steering, or a decent radio. That also means (sadly) that is has the old 4 cyl engine in it. So in my bordom and mechanical mind i am wondering if i could slip in a V8. I thought it should be pretty simple and i won't have to go around much stuff in the engine bay. also the fuel pump is bad in it and that is why it is sitting in my garage. Unfortunatly it is in the fuel tank which with this weather is not going to get changed fast.

So is it possible. I didn't really know because all the engine swap stories that i have heard were for V6 and something with a 4banger? Will it work. What would i need to change? what reinforcement will i have to make it so it doesn't twist.

any comments or suggestions?

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2003, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

the body is the same, only the mounts, radiator and brackets are different. My 91 had a 2.5 four banger in it, change frame mounts,move the trans crossmember and you have 406-700R-4. Use a heavy duty 4.3 radiator,electric fan, good trans cooler, Hedman shorty headers.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:42 PM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

Andrew - is it a 2WD or 4WD? The 2WD is pretty straightforward. The frame should be beefy enough for a reasonably built small block V8 - you shouldn't need any reinforcement. If I recall correctly, '87 was the first year of the 7.625" rear ends (beefier than the previous 7.5").

BTW- in case the dealership had you talked into replacing the whole pickup assembly, that fuel pump can be replaced for under $20!

There's a few of us on the board here who've done the V8 swap. You've got a pretty good support system here.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Im still doing it.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Just to tell yah it is the 2wd
thanks for your support.

What will i need to do to the front suspention?

Also is that all i need to do?

Replace motor mounts

move crossframe back

do exaust work

and cooling

well i guess that covers everything

how about transmission?

O and one more question and this may sound rediculous

i have a 330 olds in my garage

will that fit in there? I know the engine is bigger then a chev small block but really i don't know where to find a cheep chev
Old 02-28-2003, 06:09 AM

Last photo:

Thumbs up

Please don't give up on using a four cylinder. There are performance options.

*Build-up of the OEM...somewhat limited due to inherent component weakness...200 reliable H.P.

*Locate a GM-Pontiac Superduty-4 performance engine. Discontinued from production but widely used in NASCAR Goody's Dash cars or circle-track midgets. Many are sitting in storage once NASCAR allowed the Dash cars to use V-6 power. Drawback is having to "detune" the performance for street use and the possible use of a Pontiac bellhousing and driveline. H.P to 300.

* Check out Kansas Racing Products and have a four cylinder engine built to your specifications...various displacements and drilled to use several drivelines. Order the individual main component(s) ( engine block, crankshaft, etc ) and build your own package. H.P to 1000+ depending upon build ( supercharge or turbo ). 400+ for naturally aspirated race engine.

Best regards,
Gerry Dedonis
dedonis@kans.com
Old 02-28-2003, 06:25 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

Suspension will prolly be fine, I don't know if the V6 used a heavier spring than the 4 cyl. You might not even have to move the trans crossmember at all, I didn't on mine but it was originally a 2.8L.. You'll want to replace the tranny to something beefier with the correct bolt pattern. Sounds like you're on the right track. Cooling is a little tough, since the V8 pretty much fills the engine compartment. I'm running just under an inch between my fan and rad.

A 1000 hp 4 cyl would be pretty unique, though! Pricey, I'll bet.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

Hmmm.

I think you will have to put stiffer springs up front. I have an Extended Cab GMC S15 that Im doing the conversion on and the V8 didnt even lower it an inch.

I pretty much had to do everything. Body work, interior, built the engine. Its taking forever but I think i will be done in about 2 months or less.

I snagged a aluminum radiator out of a 4.3 V6. Based on what my S10 book says, should work out fine with a couple of electric fans.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:50 PM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

I've never done the swap on a 2WD and can't comment on 4 cyl. springs. I found the S-10 V8 conversion manual pretty informative and entertaining to boot. You can get it from jagsthatrun.com if you're interested. The book mentions having to ream out the holes or drill new holes in the trans mount if you're moving the engine back. I didn't see anything in the book about springs other than there is an additional 210 lbs. on the front end.

I did find that the front end on my truck dropped noticeably with the extra weight of the V8 up front. It was originally a 2.8L 4x4. If I were you, I'd just drop the engine in. If you don't like the new ride height, go to the junkyard and pick up a set of front coild from a 4.3L.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all your help on this topic

So right now i am at the next step of the problem

I have a 330 and a 350 olds engine that i would love to use in the truck. It is probably really way to heavy to put into it though.

If anyone thinks this is possible please tell me and i will quickly change my mind though

if that doesn't work where do i find a cheep 350 chev with a 350 trans?

I know they are out there but where is the best place to look. I went to the junk yard and they are usually out of them or really pricey. Keep in mind that i am a college kid looking for a summer project. I might put this on another page thing

thanks for your help
Old 03-01-2003, 02:47 AM

Last photo:

When i did my S-10 Blazer. I made my own motor mounts, so i could get the motor to sit lower. It's pretty simple swap. You main problem might be the headers and steering rod hitting each other. That's why i made motor sit 1" lower. My shift lever was hitting the headers. They were sanderson headers.
As for the trasmission crossmember. it depends on what trans your going to use.

As for fans. i used 2, one for driving. and the other hooked up to the A/C. when it is turned on the other fan turned on.

If you want to by a kit to do it. In kit car mags they have ad's that sell kits for the swap. They only thing i found out about there kits. is don't use there hearders. there to thin.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:21 AM

my buddy had a s 10 he put in a 400hp sbc. the electric fan was a tight fit, and trhe edelbrock air gap fit under the hood
Old 03-01-2003, 09:49 AM
v8s10.org

Last photo:

you might want to check out www.v8s10.org

My truck had a 1.9 and when I put the V8 in the front end dropped probably 3" I got some freebie 2.8 extended cab springs and that got it back up to stock height.

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: V8 S-10 ]</p>
The Following User Says Thank You to V8 S-10 For This Useful Post:
WoodieGT (07-12-2012)
Old 03-02-2003, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

I put a 350 vortec in my '91 Sonoma standard cab, which was a 2.4 4cyl originally. With 2" drop blocks in the back it looks about right. I've been told the coils from a blazer are also a bit stiffer. Watch yourself if you start digging around for a pair in a junkyard. Rent or borrow a set of spring compressers and use 'em before you start taking things apart.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

Yea, the 2wd Ext Cab S10's have pretty stiff springs cuz my S10 didnt drop at all after I put the V8 in there. (Ok, maybe it did an 1" or something but its not noticeable.)

I got the Stealth motor mount adapters. They allow for alot of adjustment. Got the Headers that wrap around the steering column. They fit good but I need to make a little more adjustment to the firewall on the passenger side. Header is hitting but that might be because I dont have the tranny mounted to the engine yet. So the engine is sitting back a little.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.