engine swap will it work - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 09:34 PM

Last journal entry: a good used 350 we installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine swap will it work

well i got myself a nice nice 1979 malibu body 2 dr nice paint and all .
ive got a 1984 buick lesabre with a 307 olds motor its a wreck but great motor and trans in it i think its a th200 trans im wanting to swap over the
307 olds and tranny to the malibu for a daily driver.what do you think ill run in
to in this swap will it even work im worried about the drive shaft any advice
plz help before i get in over my head thanks jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

THe holes are present in the frame for the swap, you can even use the same crossmember if the malibu was a V8 car, however, you will have to swap the battery, as the olds engine`s starter is on the drivers side and not the passengers, I`m also not positive the wiring will reach either, it did on my cutlass when I dropped in a sbc 350. also if you plan to run a/c you`ll need to redo the hoses from a olds car along with a dryer. If it were me, I wouldn`t use a 307 Olds engine, they were a good workhorse engine for high miles, but once they get miles on them, they have so little power, especially with the real high rearend gears those cars came with, it`ll take it forever to get it to 50. If the olds engine has a computer controlled distributor and Q-jet you`ll need both that are non computer controlled. When the 307 in my Olds had 170,000 miles on it, it was such a slug I was afraid to drive it as it took it so long to get up to speed, I wouldn`t dare pull out in heavy traffic either.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

seems like a lot of work for a 140-hp swap, especially with how many cheap or even free 350s there are in the paper these days.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 PM

Last journal entry: a good used 350 we installed
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
seems like a lot of work for a 140-hp swap, especially with how many cheap or even free 350s there are in the paper these days.
remember i said daily driver not a drag car.i have those i just need some thing to get to point a and b and i dont have the cash for a small block chevy build right now.i already have the motor and trans im using
Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

that's what i'm saying... until you get all the parts to swap the 307 into the chevy, you will have spent more than it would cost to buy a running 350 and drop in with basically NO parts.

Most junkyards have about 20 running 350s still installed in cars that you can start and test for $250. Until you buy motor mounts for the 307, fuel line, battery cables, figure out linkages, transmission crossmember, hardware, and other assorted stuff, you will have spent several hundred on a daily driver swap and be up to your eyeballs in nickel and dime crap. Buy a running 350 for $250 (or a 305 for $150) and drop it in on your lunch break... or spend more than that swapping to a 307 that takes a whole weekend and that's only IF the parts store doesn't have to order anything.

I understand your thought process, but I've done GM swaps a thousand times. Don't think that its cheaper just because you already have the engine. Given how cheap chevy motors are, just buy one used and skip the swap.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I'll be the heretic and say put the Olds motor in. The B-body frame mounts are the same as the ones used on the G-body cars, so those should bolt right up. The exhaust manifolds, accessory brackets, etc. from the 307 should be usable as is. The only problem will the the computer control. I assume your 79 does not require emission testing, so you'll want a non-computer Qjet and a pre-1981 Olds HEI. These should both be cheap. The trans on the Olds should be a 200-4R. The crossmember mount will be in the same place as the original trans in the 79 but the 200-4R tail housing is longer. G-body driveshafts should be easy to find for little money if you don't want to pay to get one shortened. You'll need to either run a toggle switch or buy an aftermarket converter lockup system for the 200-4R. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

i think I'd go the 305 or 350 route. a 307 olds makes a 1200cc VW beetle seem fast.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'll be the heretic and say put the Olds motor in. The B-body frame mounts are the same as the ones used on the G-body cars, so those should bolt right up. The exhaust manifolds, accessory brackets, etc. from the 307 should be usable as is. The only problem will the the computer control. I assume your 79 does not require emission testing, so you'll want a non-computer Qjet and a pre-1981 Olds HEI. These should both be cheap. The trans on the Olds should be a 200-4R. The crossmember mount will be in the same place as the original trans in the 79 but the 200-4R tail housing is longer. G-body driveshafts should be easy to find for little money if you don't want to pay to get one shortened. You'll need to either run a toggle switch or buy an aftermarket converter lockup system for the 200-4R. Good luck.
I agree on all except the 200-4R, I think you have it confused with the 700R4. The 200-4R is the same length as a TH200, TH250 or TH350 used in the Malibu and uses the some slip yoke and driveshaft but the mount is farther back. Just slide your current crossmember back and drill new holes if they aren't already there.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
I agree on all except the 200-4R, I think you have it confused with the 700R4. The 200-4R is the same length as a TH200, TH250 or TH350 used in the Malibu and uses the some slip yoke and driveshaft but the mount is farther back. Just slide your current crossmember back and drill new holes if they aren't already there.
You're absolutely right. I confused trans length with mounting pad length. Sorry about that. Unfortunately, since only the TH250 and TH350 were available in 79 the frame may not have the provisions for the rear crossmember location. I'm looking at a 78 CSM (I assume 79 is the same) and the frame diagram does not show the wide part of the frame extending far enough back to mount the crossmember in the 200-4R location. I believe there's a bracket kit available to accommodate this, but I don't remember who sells it.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You're absolutely right. I confused trans length with mounting pad length. Sorry about that. Unfortunately, since only the TH250 and TH350 were available in 79 the frame may not have the provisions for the rear crossmember location. I'm looking at a 78 CSM (I assume 79 is the same) and the frame diagram does not show the wide part of the frame extending far enough back to mount the crossmember in the 200-4R location. I believe there's a bracket kit available to accommodate this, but I don't remember who sells it.

The 200-4R came in many 80's G-bodies including the Monte SS and Buick GN, the frames are the same as a '79 Malibu. You only have to move it about 4 inches to the same location as a TH400 and I know several people that put TH400's in '78 and '79 Malibus just by drilling new holes for the crossmember. The 200-4R is a swapper's dream, too bad they didn't make them longer, one of these days the supply is going to dry up.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.