Engine Test Stand - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 07:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ShopAl,
Thanks. I have to admit to studying your stand at length before building mine.

Kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Most measurements are circuits which act like potentiometers. For instance the EGT is amplified through an AD595 chip which is quite standard and available.

Basically the chip is powered by the 5v on circuit and returns a 0-5v based on EGT temp. I read these values through an analog reader from Endurance R/C:

http://www.endurance-rc.com/analogreader.php

The analog reader is treated as a joystick input with 8 variables. Programing in Visual basic treats it as a human interface device. I run 2 at a time.

The timing was done through an OOPIC which no longer exist. A similar circuit is the Arduino which is a wealth of info on the web for. It used a Pak-VII chip for timing.

I am working on other circuits for the arduino which could do this independent of a computer and be independent gauges or indicators using LCD's.

Any of that make sense?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

I hadn't seen the Endurance R/C unit before. I looks similar in function to the DATAQ unit I have. Arduino reminded me, I also have a Atmel XMEGA microprocessor breakout board from Futurlec. http://www.futurlec.com/XMEGA_Controller.shtml It has to be programmed in C and I'm completely out of my depth. I bought AD8495ARMZ amps to do my EGT's and other temps because they're only $5 ea. I want 15 channels of temp and the DIPs were like $15 ea. I didn't realize how small 8msop was till they got here. I need to figure out some kind of break out for them. Eventually I want to have everything on one PCB but I'm in the early stages and still have a lot of programming to learn. The OPTO22 stuff is what I use to automate everything at work but it's very expensive and I don't have all the modules I want yet. Your GUI looks good. Our programmers at work use VB almost exclusively. I know enough to get in and troubleshoot if somethings not doing what I want but don't have a clue how to program from scratch.

Kevin
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03blackzz06
Just joined the HotRodders !, i in the process of building a engine test stand ( getting to old to build the motors and then drop them in the car to get them running ) thinking about a 3' wide x 5' long base to start ?, i have seen a few on evelbay but dont like the chinese junk!, anyone have any plans to build the good old USA way or have a site you could refer me to ?

Thanks alot for any imput
JR
Not sure where your located but when I built my stand I bought the plans on ebay. My uncle works at a fab shop and I had him cnc laser all of the parts for me. When he was looking through the plans and figuring out material cost he said out would be cheaper for me to buy the full stick of steel rather than by the foot. So I ended up with two stands. I completed one and is setup in my shop. The other one is in a pile on the floor waiting for a home. If your interested our anyone else I could figure out a price or a trade
Old 01-03-2012, 05:28 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA67_72
I hadn't seen the Endurance R/C unit before. I looks similar in function to the DATAQ unit I have. Arduino reminded me, I also have a Atmel XMEGA microprocessor breakout board from Futurlec. http://www.futurlec.com/XMEGA_Controller.shtml It has to be programmed in C and I'm completely out of my depth. I bought AD8495ARMZ amps to do my EGT's and other temps because they're only $5 ea. I want 15 channels of temp and the DIPs were like $15 ea. I didn't realize how small 8msop was till they got here. I need to figure out some kind of break out for them. Eventually I want to have everything on one PCB but I'm in the early stages and still have a lot of programming to learn. The OPTO22 stuff is what I use to automate everything at work but it's very expensive and I don't have all the modules I want yet. Your GUI looks good. Our programmers at work use VB almost exclusively. I know enough to get in and troubleshoot if somethings not doing what I want but don't have a clue how to program from scratch.

Kevin
Very cool Kev, I send you a pm. Gary
Old 01-03-2012, 05:43 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Keven I was just looking at that board. It's amazing what you can get for $35!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

electric brake

Is it possible to hook up the engine to a generator and turn back the meter a bit? A used electric motor in the 300 hp range can be found at locations where the corporations have used our tax dollars to ship the jobs to China. These motors can be turned into generators by the unemployed electricians who used to have jobs.
Clint
Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM

wow theres a blast from the past , looks like youre started building youre own shop now

i remembered a while back seeing the you tube clips of the quad turbo hot rod and you had youre own website but after a while they disapeared

so are you still working on the quad turbo setup for youre rod ?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

I just had a thought about the original topic of discussion. I bought a BBC crate motor once. It had mounts attaching it to a pallet. The previous owner started it on the pallet. What's to stop you from modifying a pallet or building a 4X4 or 2X6 frame to mount your motor to? You could even make a wooden radiator support.

I'm going to start a new Dyno thread. watahyahknow, I'll answer your questions over there.

Kevin
Old 01-04-2012, 03:13 PM

a while back i seen a picture of someone that used the undercarrage of a shoppingtrolly as a base , the front suported the trans and he welded some box iron on it for the engine support
Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 PM

This site

I don't have alot to say, I am just sitting back and trying to learn things from all you fine experienced folks on here.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.