Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine Test Stand

16K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Zukeeny 
#1 ·
Just joined the HotRodders !, i in the process of building a engine test stand ( getting to old to build the motors and then drop them in the car to get them running ) thinking about a 3' wide x 5' long base to start ?, i have seen a few on evelbay but dont like the chinese junk!, anyone have any plans to build the good old USA way or have a site you could refer me to ?

Thanks alot for any imput
JR

#4 ·
I built n engine test stand. The basis for the size was the engine itself and the radiator. The rails were based on the width of the engine mount:

I built a circuit and wrote a program to read data when it was run:

While not being a dyno I was able to do a few things, sort out a few things and learn a few things.

#5 ·
clear things up

While not being a dyno I was able to do a few things, sort out a few things and learn a few things.[/QUOTE]
looks like a great Idea but it is only for one engine.
What is that thing behind the gauge panel that looks like someone mugged a computer.

#6 ·
bob491 said:
While not being a dyno I was able to do a few things, sort out a few things and learn a few things.
looks like a great Idea but it is only for one engine.
What is that thing behind the gauge panel that looks like someone mugged a computer.[/QUOTE]

If you can build this, modifying for other engines is simply a matter of cutting and welding mounts which is little trouble.

The circuit board is an experiment I am working with. I am reading a number of parameters, displaying it on the computer and data logging it. I am reading:

Temps: oil, water, intake air temp
EGT on each cyl with peak indicators
O2
Rpm,
Timing
Throttle position
Manifold pressure

The programing is done through visual basic. This is a sample screen:

#10 ·
Engine Run Stands

Guys, I know not everyone can afford or needs to spend a lot of money on a run stand. I do use the Easy-Run Engine Test stand and have some experience in this area. I have made most of the mistakes and would be happy to help if I can. Thanks,

#11 ·
Engione Run Stand

JR, I just joined today. I am first, a car guy and I do build Run Stands. This post is not to generate sales... Many car guys only need a stand for 1 engine build and it would be foolish to spend big bucks. If you have any specific concerns, I would be happy to help pass on what ever I can and help anyone save time and money by passing on some of what I have learned by doing this. Thanks, Al

#12 ·
I'm building a dyno. I haven't finished it yet but I broke in a motor on the stand. I'd never run a motor on a stand before and it was great being able to have access to everything. Here's a link to a pic of how I made mine adjustable.
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/52732/cat/500/page/1
Minus the casters, I have less than $200 in it and still have half of the tubing left over.

#14 ·
Here's another pic.
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/52733/cat/500/page/1
I know the lack of bell housing is a bad idea. I'll have one soon. I built a water brake. Load is controlled by the amount of water in the brake. Torque is measured by the load cell under the torque arm. What are you using for data acquisition? I've been playing with some used Opto Snap and a DATAQ unit. I also have a MS-II hooked to the engine.

Kevin

#15 ·
WOW, KA, that is a very nice package. Looks like your skill set out reaches many of us.... It is great to test run engines before you certify them as ready to go....
The guys on the forum have some great ideas. I'vetriedto keep our design simple and as universal as I can. We at Easy-Run have a lot of support from our customer base and that helps us pass along any info we may have to help. Thanks, ShopAl

#17 ·
Most measurements are circuits which act like potentiometers. For instance the EGT is amplified through an AD595 chip which is quite standard and available.

Basically the chip is powered by the 5v on circuit and returns a 0-5v based on EGT temp. I read these values through an analog reader from Endurance R/C:

http://www.endurance-rc.com/analogreader.php

The analog reader is treated as a joystick input with 8 variables. Programing in Visual basic treats it as a human interface device. I run 2 at a time.

The timing was done through an OOPIC which no longer exist. A similar circuit is the Arduino which is a wealth of info on the web for. It used a Pak-VII chip for timing.

I am working on other circuits for the arduino which could do this independent of a computer and be independent gauges or indicators using LCD's.

Any of that make sense?

#18 ·
I hadn't seen the Endurance R/C unit before. I looks similar in function to the DATAQ unit I have. Arduino reminded me, I also have a Atmel XMEGA microprocessor breakout board from Futurlec. http://www.futurlec.com/XMEGA_Controller.shtml It has to be programmed in C and I'm completely out of my depth. I bought AD8495ARMZ amps to do my EGT's and other temps because they're only $5 ea. I want 15 channels of temp and the DIPs were like $15 ea. I didn't realize how small 8msop was till they got here. I need to figure out some kind of break out for them. Eventually I want to have everything on one PCB but I'm in the early stages and still have a lot of programming to learn. The OPTO22 stuff is what I use to automate everything at work but it's very expensive and I don't have all the modules I want yet. Your GUI looks good. Our programmers at work use VB almost exclusively. I know enough to get in and troubleshoot if somethings not doing what I want but don't have a clue how to program from scratch.

Kevin

#19 ·
03blackzz06 said:
Just joined the HotRodders !, i in the process of building a engine test stand ( getting to old to build the motors and then drop them in the car to get them running ) thinking about a 3' wide x 5' long base to start ?, i have seen a few on evelbay but dont like the chinese junk!, anyone have any plans to build the good old USA way or have a site you could refer me to ?

Thanks alot for any imput
JR
Not sure where your located but when I built my stand I bought the plans on ebay. My uncle works at a fab shop and I had him cnc laser all of the parts for me. When he was looking through the plans and figuring out material cost he said out would be cheaper for me to buy the full stick of steel rather than by the foot. So I ended up with two stands. I completed one and is setup in my shop. The other one is in a pile on the floor waiting for a home. If your interested our anyone else I could figure out a price or a trade

#20 ·
KA67_72 said:
I hadn't seen the Endurance R/C unit before. I looks similar in function to the DATAQ unit I have. Arduino reminded me, I also have a Atmel XMEGA microprocessor breakout board from Futurlec. http://www.futurlec.com/XMEGA_Controller.shtml It has to be programmed in C and I'm completely out of my depth. I bought AD8495ARMZ amps to do my EGT's and other temps because they're only $5 ea. I want 15 channels of temp and the DIPs were like $15 ea. I didn't realize how small 8msop was till they got here. I need to figure out some kind of break out for them. Eventually I want to have everything on one PCB but I'm in the early stages and still have a lot of programming to learn. The OPTO22 stuff is what I use to automate everything at work but it's very expensive and I don't have all the modules I want yet. Your GUI looks good. Our programmers at work use VB almost exclusively. I know enough to get in and troubleshoot if somethings not doing what I want but don't have a clue how to program from scratch.

Kevin
Very cool Kev, I send you a pm. Gary

#22 ·
electric brake

Is it possible to hook up the engine to a generator and turn back the meter a bit? A used electric motor in the 300 hp range can be found at locations where the corporations have used our tax dollars to ship the jobs to China. These motors can be turned into generators by the unemployed electricians who used to have jobs. ;)
Clint

#23 ·
wow theres a blast from the past , looks like youre started building youre own shop now

i remembered a while back seeing the you tube clips of the quad turbo hot rod and you had youre own website but after a while they disapeared

so are you still working on the quad turbo setup for youre rod ?

#24 ·
I just had a thought about the original topic of discussion. I bought a BBC crate motor once. It had mounts attaching it to a pallet. The previous owner started it on the pallet. What's to stop you from modifying a pallet or building a 4X4 or 2X6 frame to mount your motor to? You could even make a wooden radiator support.

I'm going to start a new Dyno thread. watahyahknow, I'll answer your questions over there.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.