Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine Testing Stand
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 07:27 AM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

As mentioned the stand doesn't have to be real fancy. Bascially a rectangular frame with an attachment points for the engine and radiator.

Personally, I like to keep mine low to the ground, and put 4 castors on it (the largest I can find and preferably all 4 swivel type). I also usually strap an old box fan to the front of the radiator rahter than bolting up the fan to the front pully. A stand on the back to mount an oil pressure and water temp guage to and that's about it.

For big blocks and Hemis I will often also make a smaller version, just a cradle actually. I'll ovten built the shortblock on a regular engine stand then attach it to the cradle to put the heads on. It's a lot easier on the back and I don't have to worry about it tipping over when I have to move it. Although I never have the engine could be started on this for a few minuets it it needed to be.

Depending on what I have laying around, I doubt if I have $25 tied up any of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hemi test stand.JPG
Views:	2281
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	17981   Click image for larger version

Name:	storage stand.JPG
Views:	3251
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	17982