Engine ticking in valve train - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010, 11:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine ticking in valve train

So I'm having a little bit of a problem with my beat. a little bit of background information

everything in it is brand new and I've just finished the break in on the engine all in all there is almost 800km on it now and it pulls like a scarred rabbit on steroids! After a 2 hour highway drive I flogged the car and it ran great exept for hitting my rev limiter at 5800rpm, it did not like that heard a double pop and carried on, it ran great no noises nothing. 20 min later (all highway driving normally) I started getting this ticking. when I pulled the valve cover it seems to be coming from cyl 1 or 3. I found a slightly bent pushrod (minutely) and replaced the cheapie ones with cormoly one peice ones and the ticking is still there. ARGH! but here is a nice link to the video of the sound and tell me what you guys think. maybe a valve spring that broke? i doubt it's a bent valve but who knows.

any help is accepted

here is the video
and details on the engine

PBM strike force aluminium heads (built by them)495 lift 230 duration 118 seperation cam.
11:1 comp keith black pistons eagle rotating assembly ballanced
EBL flash computer
Supper ram intake

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/...0summer002.mp4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

Recheck the exhaust manifold / header bolts. They might need snugging and sound like a valve tick.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

By looking at the video something is bad wrong with the number 1 valve, if you watch it you`ll notice sometimes it`s sticking or at least it looks so by my eyes, that`s not a tick, you got some damage somewhere.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
Recheck the exhaust manifold / header bolts. They might need snugging and sound like a valve tick.

well its not the header bolts that's for sure, the bolts are ARP locking header bolts, the only way they can back off is by indenting the *$&% out of the header tubes! and they have not moved, the sound is mechanical and not an exaust pulse unfortunately I wish it was that simple

and for the n 1 valve not working properly I think I can attribute that to a ****ty frame rate on my digital camera's video capture

Last edited by Hiemarch; 09-10-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

By the way it sounds I would still say you have some damage somewhere, I don`t call that a tick, I call that death rattle. One case we had like this where it sounded Identical to rod knock but wasn`t was years ago. Compression was good, valve springs were good, everything was fine. I adjusted the valves on the offending cylinder and noticed when I tightened the valve to the point it partially stuck open the knock would stop, but when the hydraulic lifter compensated for it, it came back. Finally we tore the engine down, we removed the head and found everything looked great, next we removed the piston, when we did the skirt fell off. I`d remove the rockers and inspect them very closely, I`d also do a compression check, if you find a cylinder with considerably less compression you likely bent a valve. Inspect all the valve springs closely as well, sometimes it can be broken and you can`t tell until closer inspection. Usually when you float the valves and hear a loud pop something bad has happened. Remove the pushrods and shine a light in the holes and get a look at the lifters while your at.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

No matter what else you do, you will have to correct the condition that bent the pushrod. That is a mechanical malfunction, one of the following in your case....
valve to piston interference
retainer to guide interference
valve spring stacking solid
If you had conventional rockers, I would also include that maybe the slots are too short and the rocker is interfering with the stud at the slot, but with roller rockers, that possibility is eliminated.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM

so I just did a compression test and every cylinder tested at 175psi to 180 psi except the noisy number 1 that tested at 125psi. and its not leaking out at the rings so next step is pulling spring apart and seeing if maybe I broke a spring if not the head is coming off and we will see if I bent a valve ah well I guess the season is done with this engine, might as well pull it out of the car and inspect everything and do some more upgrades, head porting might be in the plans I guess and a new ceramic coating on the headers..... I made them glow a little too much they are all rough to the touch and a little discolored.

here is a little side question though, when doing a compression test could you take the rocker off on one of the valves to see what the faulty valve is, if it is seating properly and such? or would that cause some sort of damage? never tried before and never really heard of that being done before
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

#1 Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiemarch
when doing a compression test could you take the rocker off on one of the valves to see what the faulty valve is, if it is seating properly and such? or would that cause some sort of damage? never tried before and never really heard of that being done before
You might possibly save some time by pumping up the #1 cylinder with air pressure. You can buy an adapter which replaces the spark plug and connects to an air hose. It is a tool designed to allow the replacement of valve guide seal without removing the heads. It will hold the valves up with the springs removed, giving you a close look.

Take the rockers off #1.

Connect air to cylinder. (keep your hands and other things away from pulleys because the engine will turn as it shoves the piston to the bottom).
The air charge will leak out loud enough to identify what about the cylinder is damaged. If it's coming out of the crank case you will assume something got the piston or ring s. Out the tailpipe something about the EX valve. Spewing out the carburetor, something about the IN valve.

I've saved a lot of time doing this. I've even seen a radiator gurgle quite a few times.

Once back in the late seventies found a crack in a cylinder wall that way.

But burnt or bent valves or shifted seats; All the time. Takes 20 minutes to find out. Hope it's not bad
Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 PM

I hope its not bad either there is a lot of money soaked up in this engine and I'd hate to drop a load more. I'm waiting on a on engine valve spring compressor and cylinder air filler attachment from my good old Mac tool rep so once I get all that I will continue on with the diagnosis.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.