engine and tranny swap on a 62 lincoln continental - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Tattoos,bikes,and cars. yay!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine and tranny swap on a 62 lincoln continental

After alot of research and help from these forums, I think i am gonna change my original plan of restoring the original engine
(430ci) and tranny (fordamatic) and do a complete change out. I was curious to know what skill level is required to swap to a 460-c6 combination on this car. I have heard this is around my skill level being not a rookie but by no means an expert. Any ideas from anyone who has done or knows someone who has done this is appreciated. My original plan was to rebuild but I have decided since money is a factor I will just get her running and slowly rebuild the original motor to put back in when i decide to completely redo the entire car. As I have too many projects going and would like to finish one before spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

First, it's not a Fordomatic, it would fall into the cast iron cruiso/fmx category. The fordomatic was only a 2 speed,I believe..if I'm wrong I know Gary will set me straight . The simplest swap would be to get a bellhousing from an early Ford with an FE and swap in an FE. The Lincoln tranny was what they used( modified) in the the automatic Thunderbolts and should still have plenty of support in the parts area. There were also smallblock bellhousings that should bolt to it if you went that way. I think there will be much more work than needed to swap in a 460/C6 and the results may or may not be worth the effort. I'd look for some 430 parts and keep that engine. It is underrated and has a lot of potential...you might be surprised at some of the speed equipment still around. I think it was 1959 that the 430 Lincoln engine powered the Top Eliminator( pre Top Fuel) car in NHRA.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

If we still had Sunoco 260 at the pump, I would agree with keeping the 430. But we don't, so I would lean toward a 460/C6 with flat-top pistons and D3VE heads.

I was planning on putting a 430/Toploader into my roadster, just to have something different. I bought the motor, scattershield and Toploader before researching the motor. The very large, crescent shaped combustion chambers are detonation-prone on today's unleaded fuels and speed parts may not be as readily available as one might think. 430's and 462's had wedge shaped combustion chambers formed between a flat head surface and an angle milled block deck (10 degrees off square with the bore axis), with the piston top determining the compression ratio and combustion chamber shape, similar to the Chevrolet 348 and 409 arrangement.

The back of the MEL block accepts an FE scattershield, so an FE trans should bolt up.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
430's and 462's had wedge shaped combustion chambers formed between a flat head surface and an angle milled block deck (10 degrees off square with the bore axis), with the piston top determining the compression ratio and combustion chamber shape, similar to the Chevrolet 348 and 409 arrangement.
Very aware of how they form the combustion chamber, I bored many and am familiar with the jig required to do it( at least when we used boring bars that set on the top of the block), The 534( as well as the smaller variants) truck engine was similarly set up. I run many 60s era engines( do a lot of Ford muscle car work) that work fine on modern gas, although hardened exhaust seats are needed. I didn't figure the HP parts needed would be that radical since it was in a Lincoln and the money spent to swap a complete new drivetrain in would allow enough to get an intake and a cam.Depending on what he wants in the end really is the determining factor. If he wants a Hot Rod Lincoln, it shouldn't be hard to get it with what he has, you can shed a lot of weight from one of those boats...the doors probably weigh 500 lbs each( on a 4dr). If he wants a killer street machine...he might want to start with something lighter to begin with. If the Lincoln is in good shape there is a growing demand for the '61-'67 Lincolns and he could probably get enough for a more easily modified one.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

thanks guys for all the help..I am just starting this project and since the car is in pretty good shape as is. I am in a dilemna with what to do..I really dont know exactly what I want to do. Everyday I see something that would either help out performance or look cool and I guess I just need to set a plan in motion and stick to it but i do lve the idea of a HOTROD Lincoln but still believe the car is awesome as is.. so I think I will sleep on it for a few days anddecide soon. I am used to bikes and the thing I do to them but a car is a whole nuther monster. with the bike i just put it on and go. the car is a lil different that is why I am doing all the reasearch I can before I make a decision on what to do. If I could figure out how to put a photo up of the car I would.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:38 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This was answered a few days ago-

-PREVIOUS MEL SWAP QUESTION-

I've only seen a few successful swaps. There are many constraints updating the slabside drivetrain.

-MORE 460 SWAP INFO-

Last edited by KULTULZ; 01-29-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
This was answered a few days ago-

-PREVIOUS MEL SWAP QUESTION-

I've only seen a few successful swaps. There are many constraints updating the slabside drivetrain.

-MORE 460 SWAP INFO-
Hi Gary , I thought the thread sounded familiar, I looked at the last one and saw that you had posted so didn't submit on it.....Are you noticing more "repeat" offenders....that ask the same thing,over and over?? I am.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:29 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodz428

Are you noticing more "repeat" offenders....that ask the same thing,over and over??
Only here... I keep asking the 'ol lady over and over for sex...
Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

If that sweet looking Lincoln that you posted pics of is the car you are discussing, it would be a shame to do anything to it that would corrupt it. I'd put a nice set of wheels/meats and a set of magna flows or equivalent and enjoy.
If you want something to modify, contact me and we might be able to work something out. woodsy@gearheadcity.com
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

LOL, it weighs so much it will take a blower motor to make it scoot (that would look cool as a true "Hot Rod Lincoln"!)

my $.02
it is a very pretty "cruiser",,, just do minor mod's to the motor to help the street rpms TQ,, some lower gears and call the drivetrain done!!!
loose some (hidden) weight where you can if it's not a major pita project....

yeah, I'm in the "do not corrupt" camp on that specific car,,,build it as a "sleeper",,,modified stock air cleaner and all...
Old 01-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

You're looking at 2 1/2 tons of metal. That car is made to be a cruiser and not a speed demon. I'd rebuild it and keep it original, toss some wheels on it and enjoy it. The only thing else by building it up for a rod would be top end speed. And if that is it in the pic I seen, I'd love to have it. growing up my dad had '61,s, 2's and 3's. Heck of a boat then but nothing like them now
Old 01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodz428

If that sweet looking Lincoln that you posted pics of is the car you are discussing, it would be a shame to do anything to it that would corrupt it.
...hmm...

You can do with it as you wish but what you are planning is going to affect the resale value of that vehicle.

A tasteful conversion can be done but that 430 can be built to deliver much better performance also.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

that is her..I'd like to think I stole it fromt he guy I bought it from. As said before I am not an expert and sorta new to the classic cars thing. I have always loved them and enjoyed working on them but this is a lil more than I am used to. I have started ordering some rebuild parts and contacted a few machine shops to feel them out. I have also decided to rebuild the original motor to keep the resale value up. I am probably going .30 over with the motor and a tranny rebuild too. I will keep you guys posted as my purchase and with input from you guys and alot of books on this particular car have turned into an obsession. I am loving this now. My passion was bikes and now I have fell in love with the good ole american steel of yesteryears. Thanks for the help guys!!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.