Engine and tranny Swap in 78 Monte... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM

Last journal entry: not a big fan of cherry picker...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine and tranny Swap in 78 Monte...

Ok have some questions pertaining to my monte... I am putting the motor from my 88 GMC 3/4 4 door pickup in my car... It is currently tbi. I am going to go with a 4bbl and eliminate the egr. I have read quite abit about doing this. From what I read as long as I go with the edelbrock 2101 and the edelbrock 1400 carb which are both non egr I should be good. Also being that the motor is an 88 I am under the assumption that if changing the manifold and carb there is really nothing else I should have to mess with on the motor. It is a genuine GM replacement motor with less than 20000 on it, has good compression and ran great in the truck till I began having TBI problem were it ran EXTREMELY rich.

Am I correct in thinking this?

Also I was told to hook up the electric choke, I just need to run a wire from somewhere that is only powered when the ignition is powered. Is this also correct?

I have tranny question as well... The transmission is crap that is currently in the monte. How do I know exactly what transmission will bolt up with out any mods? I ran 350turbos in all my previous Montes and have always had good luck but am open to suggestions, I would like to keep the cost of the tranny under $500... any recommendation on tranny type and who I should get it from... I don;t want to buy somebodys used tranny as you really don;t know what you are getting.

Oh, By the way...Kick *** site.

Thanks,
Sleeper

Advertisement

Last edited by BRSleeper2; 07-07-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 04:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You will need a non-computer distributor as well. The distributors without a vacuum advance canister require the computer for all advance curve control.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Thank you for the reply... The one on the 305 will work fine correct, Just replace the usually parts... Or do you believe it worth it to replace the dist. Completely.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:01 AM

Last photo:

Nobody Else has any options? I would appreciate any advice? Thank you again.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

What tranny is in the Monte now. I would try to get the same one or even have that one rebuilt. This way you wont also be looking for a drive shaft, cross member etc. Since you are pulling the engine anyway. pull the tranny and have it done. If it is a turbo 350 it should be probably 400-600 to have it rebuilt out of the car.

Chet
Old 07-08-2008, 11:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSleeper2
Thank you for the reply... The one on the 305 will work fine correct, Just replace the usually parts... Or do you believe it worth it to replace the dist. Completely.
Is the 305 the original motor in the Monte? If so, that distributor will be fine. You may need to change the advance weights and springs to match your new motor.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

The tranny is a 200 metric I believe... I know I replaced the rear seal as a temp fix already... I hope to pull the motor out of the Monte at least this weekend including the tranny. I will make 100% on the tranny and get back to you... I did a bunch of research last night on manifold and such and really just confused myself more. What are "canted Center Bolts? I am guess it is not the valve cover bolts that are in the center, but rather the manifold bolts. If I am correct in think this than I am going to need a manifold specific to the 88 motor and the edelbrock performer 2101 will not work for me.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.