Engine / Transmission Spacer Plate Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine / Transmission Spacer Plate Problem

Hello!

Ive got a Mustang with a 351W and now C6, it had a C4. I did the change myself, all went pretty good for my first time. It was actually easier than I thought...

However I now have run into a small problem. Upon trying to install the starter I notice that the spacer plate, between the engine and transmission, is in the way of the mounting holes for the starter. There is also no way the starter will fit, the plate is too much towards the inside.

I suspect its because the C6 transmission simply had the starter mount area exteneded out farther. I do not want to remove the transmission from the back of the engine again and replace the plate if its not really needed.

Would it do any harm to just cut out that section, to expose the bolt holes and make room for the starter? If anything I may need a spacer of some kind as the starter would sit a little deeper into the trans. If someone could tell me how to go about this or confirm my idea to fix the problem, Thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I don't see why you couldn't trim the spacer as long as you don't take away any structural qualities or any SFI rating is involved. Virtually all SFI certified parts lose the cert if altered.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM

I wish I could trim it but its too much in the way, its got to be cut completely out... Would it put too much stress on the mounting area? I know the starter kind of rest on the plate too....
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Come on, any input here?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

If you have to trim the plate you'll likely be moving the starter which will require a different flywheel. If the starter moves out, you'll need bigger and vice-versa. You can't move the starter without a matching flywheel and there were 2 sizes as far as I remember.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch
If you have to trim the plate you'll likely be moving the starter which will require a different flywheel. If the starter moves out, you'll need bigger and vice-versa. You can't move the starter without a matching flywheel and there were 2 sizes as far as I remember.
Edit: if everything else is the same and JUST the plate is in the way, yes, it can likely be trimmed but it's better to just get the right one.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Yes just the plate is in the way, I had the starter bolted to the trans before it went in with the flywheel and all, it was a perfect fit. Just forgot to check the plate.... After looking at it more I may be able to get away with alot of trimming, but atleast some structure will be left, and then drill holes in the plate to expose the mounting holes on the trans. Thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 11:38 AM

After some thought ive decided it would be best to get a new plate but what im looking at says it will work with C4 and 6. How is that possible? The old does not work on both. Here is what im looking at.

http://macsautoparts.com/product.asp...cd2=1291755988
Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Ok guys. Ive found out the problem im sure. So here goes for anyone who comes across needing the same help.

The C4 used two different spacer plates between 157 and 164, C6 used 164. If your trying to swap spacer plates it will not work if the C4 plate you have is for the smaller 10-1/2 bolt pattern torque converters and 157 tooth flywheels setup. You need a spacer plate from the larger 11 - 7/16 bolt pattern torque converter and 164 tooth flywheel, which will then work on a C6. I had the smaller 157 setup which is why it will not fit perfect.

Atleast this is what ive gathered from searching all over the place...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.