Engine tries to start when battery connected - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 12:28 AM

Last journal entry: Paint and engine
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine tries to start when battery connected

I have recently completed an engine transplant in a 1976 Datsun 280Z. I replaced the inline six cylinder with a Chevy 350. Tonight when I went to hook up the battery for the first time the engine started to turn over. The ignition switch was off and the car was in park.

I did not let it continue and stopped it by disconnecting the negative cable from the battery. I have a Summit mini starter on my engine instead of the factory starter and it did not come with any instructions on wiring.

I have the positive cable and the large wire that went to the Z's starter hooked to the large bolt on the Summit starter. I also have a smaller wire that went to the Z's starter hooked to the smaller allen screw connection on the Summit starter.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The starter should have places for two small wires. One should be marked S This is where the wire from the ignition switch goes. The other terminal should be marked R This is for the wire to the ignition resistor if you are using one.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:05 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Sounds like the problem is with the old Zs starter wire. It might not be what you think it is.

Disconnect the small wire from the starter and hook the battery back up. At this point the engine should not turn over. Take a voltmeter and verify that small wire has 12 volts to it. IT SHOULDNT but appears it does in your case.

The wire that connects to the starter solenoid terminal should only have power when you turn the ignition switch to start position. You need to trace this back and find out why its hot all the time or if its even the right wire.

Rich
Old 08-29-2005, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
The starter should have places for two small wires. One should be marked S This is where the wire from the ignition switch goes. The other terminal should be marked R This is for the wire to the ignition resistor if you are using one.
The Summit starter did not have any of these markings. My older boat anchor GM starter did but it is a little too large to work in my cramped engine bay.

Which Z wire are you refferring to? The one I have hooked to the large terminal or the small wire going to the allen screw terminal?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Starting

Check to see that the wires are not touching on the starter. Sometimes when tightening the wires they can move around enough to hit each other. Also if you disconnect the small wire does the problem go away. If not the starter is bad, solenoid probably internally shorted. If the issue does go away after removing the small wire. My guess is you have the wrong wire. Get a diagram and check wire colors for the Z. sounds like you may have gotten a couple wires crossed up somewhere.

Good luck
Old 08-29-2005, 07:48 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

I am talking about the one attached to the small allen terminal. Thats your solenoid wire and is what inititates the starter.

Remove it and make sure the cranking stops. It should. Check that wire with a voltmeter. It should not be hot with 12 volts but it sounds like it is.

Rich
Old 08-29-2005, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

Woooohoooooo!

Man was that simple! Just as the above post suggested I had my wires touching. It was dark last night when I was finishing up and my main concern was getting the battery and starter wires away from my exhaust and in doing so I must have brought them together.

The beast fired right up when fuel reached the carb. Oh man I cannot wait to get her on the road.

By the way I was away checking on that very problem when I came back to my computer I saw where someone had suggested the wires may be touching. Thanks guys.

I will have to update my Project journal with some nice new pics.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:49 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Good deal.

Sometimes its the simplest thing !
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Starter

glad it worked out for you. It is easy sometimes to overlook the simple things and get in way to deep

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.