Engine Trouble - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2003, 11:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Red face Engine Trouble

OK guys here is the skinny I just bought my new project a 1966 ford mustang with a 289 v8 it has a different engine than stock no A/C and the power steering doesn't work. My Problem is this I am getting blow back through the right hand valve cover breather. When i cap it it comes out of the oil dipstick. Some other symptoms are when the breather is in in Drive the engine runs rough meaning the whole car shakes excessively. with the cap on it reduces a little but it dies if u floor it. I have checked the plugs are in fact on the right wire and the PVC valve is new i replaced it all vacuum hoses look in tact but will check anything u guys think. One thing i did notice was and i don't know the name is running from the carburetor which is a holly 4 barrel there is a vacuum hose on the front that runs down to under the engine the metal hose looks kinked some what would that do anything? Thanks guys just tell me some places to look and i will check. One of the guys i know said check the oil pump i was planning on replacing it only costs 20 bucks so tell me what u think. I have a digi cam if u need pics of anything. OK guys I checked the PCV valve and it sucks my finger in. Anyone in souther Cali want to help me do some rings lol near fallbrook oh and the steel line i was talking about runing to the carb was to the fuel pump. Checked Compressions to all cylinders all are 140 but 4 = 0, 5=65 and 8=100psi so what would i go about doing next guys I am not to keen on engines so as descriptive as possible plz i am a fast learner. Well guys thanks for all the help I am rebuilding the engine now gonna cost me 2 grand but well i will have it fixed.

Last edited by Joe_Marine; 11-01-2003 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2003, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

While the engine is running, pull the PCV valve and put your finger over the end and make sure it sucks your finger to it! If it does, you probably have worn or stuck rings, check compression on all cylinders!
Old 10-30-2003, 07:58 AM

Wrencher sounds dead on, stuck/broken ring(s). It appears that you have a lot of blow by just on the one bank. I would bet money that you will find one cylinder that has a 20% + drop in compression compared to the others. I had that exact same problem with a 283 I owned. I had blow by on the right bank and turned out to be a broken ring.

Good luck.

Brad
Old 10-30-2003, 11:01 AM

Had the same problem in a van. Pulled off that steel line and it was blocked solid. Cleaned it out and never had the problem again.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:14 PM

What steel line is that? PVC?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.