Engine turns over but will not start?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2002, 07:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Engine turns over but will not start??

Ok, we have a 1969 Ford truck with a 290 in line 6 cylinder engine and manual transmission. We have spark at all the plugs, perfect timing, gas at the carburator, checked for flooding, good compression in each cylinder, no vacuum leaks, and the car will not hit a lick. I even checked the exhaust pipe for blockage and the engine makes no attempt to start at all. Give me some ideas.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2002, 08:00 PM

jim i dont knough why im telling you for you already knough but you may check the selniod on the fire wall or the coil wire i had the same problem with my 77ford i changed these and took off gordon
Old 04-02-2002, 12:58 PM

If you are sure you have proper timing and spark, I would pour about a half cup of gas down the careburetor and see if it actually runs. If it doesn't, your spark timing or cam timing is probably wrong.
Old 04-03-2002, 05:58 PM

I am completely baffeled. I have checked everything 18 times and can't find anything wrong. This vehicle belongs to a friend of mine. If we don't come up with something quick, he is going to have it towed to a mechanic for repair. I am so ashamed I can not figure this out.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Try a different coil, when coils go bad they will sometimes fire a spark in free air but not under compression.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:35 PM

jimweeks,howdy!ditto the plugs!if they have been cold fouled they wont fire under compression.whatever happens let us know,there is always something out their to stretch our limits!jimm
Old 04-04-2002, 08:04 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Lightbulb

If it has a power brake booster check the vacume line going from the carb to the booster, sometimes when the boosters go bad they shoot brake fluid into the carb resulting in the car not starting. Its an idea, but I'm no mechanic
Old 04-05-2002, 11:35 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Yeh Jim, sometimes it gets baffling, especially when everything seems to be like it is supposed to be and nothing works. I had one awhile back doing just like that, I was getting fire and gas and the timing had not been fooled with. Finally found that the roll pin that holds the gear on the bottom of the distributer had sheared and the gear had slipped and then locked to the shaft on the shards of the broke roll pin. You could turn it over and the rotor turned around like it was supposed to. You could pull the plug wires one at a time and they were fireing, You could put number one up on TDC and look at the timing mark and it was in time, and it was getting gas. But it was fireing at the wrong time. Never did figure out what cause the pin to shear though, but got her to running and never had another problem out of it. Good Luck
Old 04-05-2002, 03:08 PM

I have learned something from each of the posts, so I appreciate your input. I tried every suggestion everyone made and it still would not even act like it wanted to start, so I told my friend to go ahead and have it towed in for repair. An hour later the shop called to let us know the truck was fixed. I had been sweating over this thing for days and this guy finds the problem and fixes it in an hour! Can I show my face again? Any way,I was the first one into the shop to find out what the trouble was. The mechanic was nice and explained that the trouble was with a partially bad ignition switch. He said this will cause you to have some spark, but its weaker than it should be and under compression there would be no spark at all. He simply replaced the ignition switch and it starts up and runs fine. I'm going home now. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2002, 03:34 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Yeh Jim, you can show your face, anyone who does much mechanic work is going to get snakebit every once in a while and you just got snakebit. Glad they got it fixed easy enough without it being something real expensive. Yeh, I learned something from this also, I had thought about weak spark, but I was thinking coil, module whatever, I would have never thought about the ignition switch doing that. Glad you got it going and glad I learned something in the process.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I would give that mechanic all my work if he could figure out a bad ignition switch that quickly, sounds like a keeper.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:33 PM

hi jim glade you got the veh running but i wouldnt have thought switch ether i hope it gives you many miles to play with beleave me ill rember switch gordon
Old 04-05-2002, 05:37 PM

jim, i am so sorry , i had a t-bird in the 70's that exhibited the same symptons.my brother -in- law suggested i run a hot wire from the battery to the ignition side of the coil,i did, it ran the upon tracking the ignition wire back to the main firewall plug-in idiscovered that it was 99% severed.sorry i didnt remember,running a hot wire would have put you on the problem,just remember, if we always got it right no one could stand to be around us,jimm
Old 04-06-2002, 11:18 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Hi Jim, ditto to what everyone else said. We all get bit. There's been times where I've looked like the hero at work and others where I've wanted to bury my head in the sand. Sometimes there's just so many possibilities that experience more than smarts is needed. I have seen many smart guys stumped only to have someone else walk over and go 'hey did you try this'. That guy is not neccessarily any smarter, but experienced and 'been there done that'. We had a Mitsubishi in the shop not too long ago. Now we don't normally get these at a Ford dealership but we sold it used and had to fix it. This car started and ran but hessitated and missed on accelleration. The tech working on it checked fuel pressure, MAP sensor, other sensors, and then finally checked actual spark (which up till this point he assumed was ok) and found it was weak. He ended up replacing a 700 dollar distributor to fix it (coil part of distributor). So yes even an 'A' tech at a dealership gets stumped every now and then.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.