engine vibration / harmonic balancer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2004, 09:30 PM
4 chevys and a ford

Wiki Edits: 0

Angry engine vibration / harmonic balancer

Hello from Brian sansone . I just finished doing a partial engine overhaul on my 88 chevy tbi 350 . I had the heads serviced , replaced the rod bearings , piston rings , lifters , and two connecting rods - wich I had checked and reconditioned at a reputable machine shop . Now I seem to have an engine vibration . The vibration ONLY occures at idle in gear when I have my foot on the brake. As soon as I give it some gas , it runs as smooth and quiet as a brand new engine . The vibration is very fast , it makes the cab of my truck resonate like the inside of a bass speaker . When trying to observe the engine in this vibrating state I noticed that it was vibrating so fast that I could not read any lables on the engine or accesories . They appeared as blury as if I had been drinking all day -not the case - at any other rpm the engine runs perfectly smooth and steady . Could this be a failing harmonic balancer ? I put ALOT of undeserved stress on the balancer bolt during the rebuild ; especially when taking the old pistons out . Could I have damaged it . Is there a way to check it ? Or could the two rods from the foreign engine be the culprit . I realize a vibration could be from any number of sources . But I am tempted to think it is from one of these two sources. Truck ran fine before I did all this work . Any advice will be much appreciated . Any Chevy Guys ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2004, 09:52 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

From what I gather you put in two rods that were not from the original engine. If that is the case, you could have an internal balance problem.
I don't fully understand the "undeserved stress" on the balancer bolt. But, if you have concerns about it or the balancer, I would swap them out before going inside.

Added thought: Are all your vacuum sources connected or plugged?
Old 10-31-2004, 10:12 PM

Last journal entry: "Z" construction
Last photo:

If it was a balance problem, wouldn't the vibration get worse, the higher the RPM.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Motor mount or trans mount could cause this.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:29 PM
4 chevys and a ford

no vaccum leaks , new trans and torque conv( from mr transmission- sure hope thats not the problem ) . I put alott of torque on the balancer - 6 ft pole - and had to bang on it . the pistons were very tight -jammed at one point- the engine was very hard to turn . Everything turns very easily now . should I try a new balancer , used balancer ? Is there an inspection I could do? I have never removed a balancer , and do not know how they work . This is my first american v8 . All my previous expeirience is with vw's , wich don't have harmonic balancers attatched to the crank . Thanks for the advice
Brian

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.