Engine wants to die from park to drive - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine wants to die from park to drive

Hey all, just finished my TPI swap on my truck and when everything is adjusted right it runs really strong. However I have noticed two problems with it. 1. It wants to die when I put it from park to drive or reverse. The truck kind of kicks when the tranny shifts even in park however if I go over a bump and get a similair kick, it doesn't affect idle. I also noticed that my timing is walking on me. I will set it at 8 or so and it will run great. By the next day the idle will be funky and I will check base timing again (btw when I set base timing I am doing it the correct way with the EST tab disconnected and reseting the memory etc) and it will have gone back to 4 or 2 or in some cases -2.

I will try messing with fuel pressure and seeing of that will help the car wanting to die when I switch gears but any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

Dylan.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

Ok this is just a guess but maybe your anti-knock sensor or the wire going to it is bad. If it senses a knock it retards the timing, if the wire is shorting it is telling the computer that there is knock wheather there is or not. Shifting may be moving the wireing harness or is maybe the linkage hitting the engine or exhaust??? The sensor is good enough that you can test it by rapping on the block next to it with a screwdriver handle while the engine is running so it dosen't take much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thats what I thought too so I disconnected the knock sensor and tried it to the same affect. The more I increase the idle the less it does it though. However in park now it idles at 1000, and in drive it will idle around 650. At first I thought I was getting low on gas lol.

Oh well. I'll find the culprit sooner or later.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Sounds to me like the fast idle is not working properly. What does the system have in the order of idle valve or solenoid? As for the timing, sound like the distributor is moving. Again, not sure of your setup since you gave no details, I am bettting that you just set the distributor to base timing and the ECU takes it from there. If it where the knock sensor it would be sporatic I think. BTW, the knock sensor is just a piezo mic and shorting will not likely cause the ECU to retard timing I dont think(but you never know). The sound of the that the knock sensor is usually interpreted by frequency analysis by the ECU.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Its an 85 TPI off a pontiac that is now in a 66 gmc with a 350. Its all fairly stock as far as the TPI goes.

I think your right about the distributor moving. Its really close to the firewall and I noticed that is was fairly loose. I tightened it down nice and snug and since it hasn't walked yet. I have it timed at 10 even though it recommends 6 and it seems to really like that advance. The knock sensor isn't connected as I cannot mount it between the headers and block as its too large. I am currently looking for another spot as close as I can to where the head meets the block.

The idle air control vavle might need to be reset however the reading coming off of it (Steps is the unit I believe) seems to be accurate. But I will reset it anyways just in case.

Thanks for the help all.

Regards,

Dylan.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.