Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine Weight?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  timothale 
#1 · (Edited)
Engine stand capacity?

Can anyone tell me the approximate weight of a Pontiac 400 cid? The engine for my 1966 "WannaGoat" (1966 LeMans with a 1967 GTO 400) has been rebuilt and is ready to pick up at the engine shop. I have a Harbor Freight engine stand, but I think the capacity is 750 lbs. The engine has the heads and an Edelbrock manifold on it. Are we safe here? If not, I'll have to buy a better stand.

Thanks

Chris

#2 ·
Trucknut said:
Can anyone tell me the approximate weight of a Pontiac 400 cid? The engine for my 1966 "WannaGoat" (1966 LeMans with a 1967 GTO 400) has been rebuilt and is ready to pick up at the engine shop. I have a Harbor Freight engine stand, but I think the capacity is 750 lbs. The engine has the heads and an Edelbrock manifold on it. Are we safe here? If not, I'll have to buy a better stand.

Thanks

Chris
An all factory 400 will weigh around 640 lbs. If your stand is rated for 750#, you should be ok.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm an untrusting soul, If I have a complete engine thats going to hang on an engine stand for a while I'll cut a piece of 2X2 or 2X4 just long enough for a snug fit between the front of the oil pan down to the front leg of the stand. That way you take a lot of the stress off of the bellhousing and the bolts.

Now this may not be needed, I have one of the better "Heavy Duty" it says 750 lb models....still made in China though, just makes me feel better.

And yes I know, some of the high dollar engine stands are very well made and could probably hold a V-12 Allison using grade 8 bolts....but most guys don't buy them.

#8 ·
You should be OK on the capacity. But like Rich said, turn it into a 4 wheeler. I had a BBC on a 3 wheeler. It got away from me and pinned me against the qtr. panel of the car. I was alone. Had a heck of a time getting it back up on all three wheels without dropping it to the floor.

#11 ·
So, I went and took a look at my engine stand (haven't used it in a long time). Turns out that it is a four wheeler. :rolleyes: Could be a 1000 or a 750. It's been about four years since I bought it. I had thought about putting some support in like 327 suggested. I think I'll go ahead and use it like that and be sure to keep any part of myself from being underneath it.

I don't like to compromise when it comes to safety. All of you can imagine how much money is going into this project; paint & body, new floor pan in the trunk, new rear quarters, all new interior and the list goes on and on, with something new coming up everyday. If I can use the stand I have and still be safe, I won't have to buy another one.

One of the things that makes this a great site is that the people here collectively come together to find ideas, solve problems and watch out for one another. When I'm at the shows or talking to people in my shop I always recommend HR.com. Some listen......some don't. The "don'ts" probably wouldn't get it anyway.

Thanks again guys. And, thanks to Jon and the moderators that help us keep this concept in prospective. :thumbup:

Chris

#12 ·
engine stand

I have 3 engine stands ,I bought the light duty one for $ 20 at a garage sale. I don't know if it is a harbor freight but it looks like theirs . I added more steel to it like you have to do on a lot of HF stuff . I added 45 degree 1 x 1 tubing from the main post out to the wheel mount area , triangular gussets at the top swivel tube and the 2 more wheels. I use it for small blocks, trans. or a VW engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.