Hot Rod Forum banner

Which engine with what car

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  1meancuda 
#1 ·
I am looking to build up a street rod for as cheap as possible. I was wondering what engine works best with what frame to produce the most bang for the buck. I have considered using either a 427 or 454 BBC in a G body with a 700r4 tranny. Is there a better frame to drop that in? Is SBC a better way to go?

thanks for your input

Paul Alexander

#3 ·
I can tell yo from experience that bigblocks are expensive to build. what you eventually do will be up to your wallet. but here is a piece of advice i would heed if i were you. if you have the money go with a crate motor, and preforably a small block. there are many cheap alternatives from a 245 horse Goodwrench motor to a 434 cui 560 horsepower Motown crate motor. but that will set you back almost 7G.s my advice is a 350 HO cheap and plenty fun..

#4 ·
Well, that's a pretty loaded question if I've ever heard one! :D
If you are serious about doing it for as cheap as possible, I would also suggest going with something like a 350. I know, I know....everyone has a 350. All that means is that they are good engines and have a huge aftermarket following.
Almost any body style that you would like to use can be made to your spec. Everyone has a different opinion about what looks cool and what doesn't. I like the look of Superbirds, where as my brother cringes at the thought of being seen in one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Almost any car can be made into a reliable and strong runner while looking great. Find something YOU like and go with it.
Hope that helps a little and good luck with your project! :D

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I dont plan on buying a crate. Rather finding an old block from the junkyard and building it up. I definitely want something with over 400 CI. As for body styles, I'm really looking to make a sleeper, and want something with solid frame. i've been told that the 78 and on G Bodies are a good choice, but a second opinion never hurts. what about building up big blocks make them more expensive than SB.

thanks again

#6 ·
opinions are like backsides, everybody has one and they all stink. But anyhow, it sounds to me like you've already talked yourself into a bbc. which I personally sorry to hear. my opinion is big block=boat anchor. but thats me. they are to expensive to build and cannot achieve the rpm levels of a small block. also keep in mind that big blocks where originaly designed for torque over horse power and rpm.(long stroke vs short stroke)sbc parts are more readily available and a great deal less expensive than bbc. a diesel 700r4 from a 6.2 (still chevy bellhousing) should handle the power and give reasonable mpg if your application is primarily street. also dont be afraid to consider a unibody platform for your car. remember that chrysler has not built a full frame car since 1956 and they had more horse power than any other mfg with minimal body distortion. but also remember that this is your project, your money, and your the one that has to live with your decisions. just friendly advice from a mopar man

#7 ·
True, sbc can be built to provide more power and torque than bbc, but you need to be sure that the internals will hold up to that abuse. This could mean that you would be spending more on your small block than if you had done a big block in the first place. Small block's do have more parts that are readily available, but some times even the easy stuff to get can come with a pretty big price tag!
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you keep that tranny cool! I'm a big advocate of tranny coolers!!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.