Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   engine wont idle, or stay running (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine-wont-idle-stay-running-162921.html)

lowandloud91 08-06-2009 03:58 PM

engine wont idle, or stay running
 
well to start off my engine will start and then usualy idle high for mabey 10-20 sec and then shut off. Ive tried messing with the timimg and carb a bunchhh and nothing seems to help...any ideas??

also this is a new motor

heres the set up:
355 w/flat tops, 64cc/197 al. heads w/ 1.5 rollers, air gap intake, 750 speed demon carb, and comp cams 282 hyd. roller .510/.520 lift, 282/288 duration230/236 duration @ 50

thanks for any help!
-andy

T-bucket23 08-06-2009 05:09 PM

I would look for an open vacuum port or a torn carb or intake gasket.
Does it start right back up or do you have to wait.

lowandloud91 08-06-2009 05:14 PM

the carb and intake gasket are brand new, and yes itll start back up.....i once started it and held it at about 3000 rpms and it stayed there and then it just shut off like i turned the key off, vacuum ports look good also

DoubleVision 08-06-2009 08:08 PM

Have you let it warm up then checked the idle? Cold engines with no choke aren`t known to idle

lowandloud91 08-06-2009 08:53 PM

yes ive let it warm up, but it does have an elec choke

T-bucket23 08-07-2009 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowandloud91
the carb and intake gasket are brand new, and yes itll start back up.....i once started it and held it at about 3000 rpms and it stayed there and then it just shut off like i turned the key off, vacuum ports look good also

If it starts right back up it could be running out of fuel. Generally an electronics(ignition) issue will take a while to cool before it will work again.
I would start buy checking your float levels and put a fuel pressure gauge on it.

lowandloud91 08-07-2009 09:43 AM

ok ill check that out and see what happens...but what if it checks out to be ok?..and what if it does not?

techinspector1 08-07-2009 03:23 PM

Check to see if you have a vented fuel tank cap.

randyhemi 08-07-2009 05:43 PM

sounds like fuel issues. did you install an electric fuel pump when you did all this work?? from what you discribe you are running out of gas in the carb.

lowandloud91 08-08-2009 10:40 AM

well i found out i had an open vacuum port on the intake, i plugged that and a buddy did some carb adujstment and now it idles for about a min or so and then sputters off. also sometimes itll start rite up and sometimes, and sometimes it wont.

lowandloud91 08-08-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyhemi
sounds like fuel issues. did you install an electric fuel pump when you did all this work?? from what you discribe you are running out of gas in the carb.


yes i have an electric fuel pump

T-bucket23 08-08-2009 03:05 PM

I would check the float levels next. Also make sure all your vacuum ports are plugged or in use

lowandloud91 08-08-2009 04:53 PM

the back float level registers about 1/4 way on the window(there is 3 horizontal lines its at almost the first one) and the front does not even register unless u shake the truck and then it sloshes a little bit on the window. there is four little screws(2 on each side of each bowl) that i have turned 2 1/2 turns out. there is also two larger screws on top of each bowl with a nut. im not sure how to go about adjusting them but when i try to back the screw out some to i assume allow more fuel and tighten the nut, the nut will not tighten and fuel leaks out.

carsavvycook 08-08-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowandloud91
the back float level registers about 1/4 way on the window(there is 3 horizontal lines its at almost the first one) and the front does not even register unless u shake the truck and then it sloshes a little bit on the window. there is four little screws(2 on each side of each bowl) that i have turned 2 1/2 turns out. there is also two larger screws on top of each bowl with a nut. im not sure how to go about adjusting them but when i try to back the screw out some to i assume allow more fuel and tighten the nut, the nut will not tighten and fuel leaks out.

It sounds like the front bowl is running low of fuel. In adjusting the float level, you need to loosen the screw, and turn the nut counter clockwise. I have found that 3 & 1/4 to 3 & 1/2 threads showing on the threads above the float bowl(with the nut removed) is pretty close to the right setting.

When you 'tighten' the 'nut', you are lowering the float level.

lowandloud91 08-09-2009 11:36 AM

mk ill do that and see what happens. i know this shouldnt matter at all, i dont think anyways, but my belt is not on. it should run without that right? if the carb adjusting does not fix the problem what should i do next?


thanks for all the input!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.