Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enlarge heater hose end from 5/8" to 3/4"?

38K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  staleg 
#1 ·
Due to very limited space around my heater, I need to enlarge the 5/8" heater hoses to 3/4" on one end. There isn't enough space for an adapter fitting.

Is this possible, for instance by using heat?

Or is it possible to have a couple of 5/8" heater hoses custom made with a short area of 3/4" diameter in one end?

#13 ·
I may be missing something here, but why would you not run a 3/4 inch hose from the heater core, say about 10 inches long, then put this reducer and run 5/8 from there on out?

#3 ·
Thanks for your quick answer. I don't think it's room for the reducer.

But what about these that I just found on Summit Racings homepage:
Summit Racing® Heater Hose Adapters SUM-390007 - SummitRacing.com

Heater hose adapters. But I don't understand from the photo how they work...
Do you simply put the 5/8" hose into the 3/4" hose and clamp the connection?? Will that be leak free?

If so, I might have enough space for this.

#5 ·
The Summit connector would use the 3/4" hose that's included over the nipple on the heater, then the included 5/8" OD piece is pushed halfway into the 3/4" hose, then your 5/8" hose is pushed over the other half of the included 5/8" OD piece and the whole thing clamped down.

#8 ·
There are many heater hoses that are 5/8" on one end and 3/4" on the other.

This could be one, don't know the exact sizes.

Anyway, make a pattern of your hose out of some brake line or something stiff and go to your local REAL parts store (not a McParts store like the Zone) and ask to see their hose selection and they will be happy to let you go thru them to find something that will work.

Now, often you will buy a longer hose than you need and cut it to length. My brother sells moulded hoses like the originals for 50's and 60's Buicks made from hoses right off the rack at the local parts store. He spent the time to hunt them down, he now buys hoses for late model applications and cuts them to length to fit right on the old Buicks.

At the NAPA store I worked at we had hundreds of these hoses, heater and radiator and would do this all the time for people. You would be very surprised at how many vintage cars radiator hoses can be made up this way.

Brian

Reactions: cobalt327
#25 ·
That is correct. Just forget about part stores the way you know them. We don't have those in Norway.

Here they won't/can't find anything without a part number or the cars' production year/type.
Searching a car part based on the part's look is simply not possible.

The way I see it, I have 2 options:
1. Try fitting a reducer.
2. Enlarge the firewall holes to accept a 3/4 hose, and use that all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.