Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

enough flow to go?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  lluciano77 
#1 ·
i just got my stock 882 heads pocket ported, triple angle valve job, and decked. im wondering if they will flow enough to make around 340hp on my setup : 1973 sbc400, edelbrock performer intake, q-jet, 1 5/8 full length headers, comp cams magnum 270h- 224 duration @ .050 and .470 lift. i already have the springs to match this cam with new locks, retainers, etc. it flows through 2 1/4 duals with series 40 flowmasters. also do those aluminum header gaskets work well?

#2 ·
882's flow fairly decent for a factory smog head, and many people have used them in similar buildups. Just be aware that they are thin castings and will easily crack if overheated.

As for the gaskets, Ive never used them so Im not sure. But ive never had a problem with the regular header gaskets on any set of headers Ive run. I think people dont keep the header bolts snugged down and this is the problem. They have to be checked often. :thumbup:

#3 ·
Aluminum Header Gaskets

I have used Earl's with the "dead-soft" fillers. These work very well. But you can't reuse the inserts because they stick and tear when the headers are removed. They sell replacement inserts, but not sure how much. I would only use them if it is an application that you will not remove exhaust and/or the engine on a regular basis. I have had a set on my 91' GTA for a couple of years now without any leaks.

For my 81' Camaro, I have gone back to $15 Fel-Pro and am just as happy. Plus they can be reused a number of times. Ed www.edgesz28.com

#4 ·
Assuming that your short block is completely stock you're going to be real close to 340 horsepower right now. You'll need better heads to get much more H.P. You'll also need stronger pistons and 5.7 length rods if you're planning on going beyond what you have now.

#5 ·
The 5.7 rods aren't too important. They will only show minimal gains. I would recommend them only if you are starting from scratch.

A 400 should make 350hp easy with your cam.

If you went to 2.5" exhausts your engine would make even more power. 2 1/4" is small for a performance 400. It isn't like a 350. That extra 1/4" will make a big difference.

Of course, an aftermarket head will be needed if you want to get to the 400hp range easily.

I use the Percy's aluminum gaskets. They work well. I have even reused them and still had them seal.

#6 ·
lluciano77 said:
The 5.7 rods aren't too important. They will only show minimal gains. I would recommend them only if you are starting from scratch.

A 400 should make 350hp easy with your cam.

If you went to 2.5" exhausts your engine would make even more power. 2 1/4" is small for a performance 400. It isn't like a 350. That extra 1/4" will make a big difference.

Of course, an aftermarket head will be needed if you want to get to the 400hp range easily.

I use the Percy's aluminum gaskets. They work well. I have even reused them and still had them seal.
My recommendation of 5.7 had nothing to do with power gains. It was to take some stress off of the pistons. He is at the limit of what the stock cast pistons with short rods can reliably take.

#7 ·
thanks everyone. the bottom end is all stock and i dont plan on going any higher with my hp. this is my daily driver/weekend fun toy. this engine was rated at factory 175hp/275torque, but ive heard these year engines were under rated.

#8 ·
tresi said:
My recommendation of 5.7 had nothing to do with power gains. It was to take some stress off of the pistons. He is at the limit of what the stock cast pistons with short rods can reliably take.
I think his engine could take a lot more than that. It becomes a question of how much. That is anyones guess, and the more power added, the less the odds will stay in your favor of surviving WOT runs.

I have consistently spun my 5.0 bottom end to 7,800-8,000 RPMs. I challenge anyone to find a book or a mechanic that would say that is possible. It all boils down to whether or not you are willing to deal with a catastrophic failure when the weakest link decides to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.