Hot Rod Forum banner

Epicyclical gears for 4x4 transfer case

972 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mpescatori 
#1 ·
OK this is possibly something nobody's ever done, or dreamed of doing, but then so was sailing west to go to China. (i.e. Columbus) I have a thing in the back of my head and need advice.
I have been offered a very junky Range Rover, nice all-aluminium 3.9 V8 but the manual 4speed is trash.
Considering a 5speed for the car can be easily found at the local junkyard (from a scrapped Rover sedan), my pipedream was to replace the manual 2speed transfer case (Hi-Lo), which DEMANDS the vehicle to be absolutely stationary to shift between Hi/Lo, with the epicyclical 'box from an automatic transmission.
In other words: in an auto'box, the epicyclical gears are always all engaged, with belts deciding which cog freewheels and which is (more or less) stationary, hence 3fwd speeds etc. The torque converter and the hydraulic labyrinth are there because there isn't a clutch, and to change gears automatically.
BUT if I already do have a clutch and a manual gearbox, can the epicyclical gears be fitted instead of the transfer case?
Why go through so much trouble? Imagine downshifting from Hi to Mid to Lo, without having to stop-shift-restart !
This would give me 5 forward speeds, applicable to three different environments: drive-heavy towing-offroad.
So, am I crazy or is it possible?

Maurizio
PS sorry for the long post, but it's been nagging me...
and if it works for me, it'll work for anybody !

See less See more
#2 ·
i have absolutely no idea, like with most of my posts!:D but the only thing that crosses my mind is--aluminum v-8???:thumbup: car trannies are easy to find???:thumbup:
time to find an old mg or something to stuff this combo into!!!:pimp:

#3 ·
Hello Bullheimer, sorry for such a late reply.
In the 1960s Buick produced a very nive all-aluminium V8, 3.5 liters (about 220 cu.in) but it produced no more than 140 bhp, so it was sold off to Rover UK. Rover liked the idea of the all-aluminium V8 as it weighed more or less the same as their current 1800cc. 4pot, had about twice the horsepower and was a fine replacement for their aged 3.0 straight 6. Also, excellent competition of Triumph and Jaguar straight 6s.
The 3.0 V8 evolved from the initial 140bhp to 170 in EFI form, then became 4.0 and 200 bhp, but performance was limited due to narrow inlet ports.

Enter the new redesigner V8 Mk2, 3.9 L later to become 4.4 and 4.9, with redesigned heads and much more. I've been offered a fuel-injected 3.9 Range Rover, but the entire drivetrain needs attention (apparently it was used to haul the family caravan during summer vacation, 50 mhp OK but haul another 1.5 tons for life and the drivetrain's bound to wear...)

My idea is actually an offspring of my MGB's overdrive principle, a 2speed gearbox that allows for quick "half-gear" changes; why not a 3speed, so that I can drop from Hi 4th to Mid4th (rather than Hi3rd)... If you've ever tried a car with overdrive, either you're hooked or it was a bad overdrive in the 1st place, I'm hooked. That's why I was looking for a 3speed box thing.

Thanks for the support

Maurizio

PS Unfortunately GM-Ford-ect. gearboxes don't fit. Of course, Mercedes have a beautiful 5-speed auto, but that would cost me more that the car itself !

Forgot to proofread.
Confirm original V8 was 3.5, not 3.0; 3.0 was the straight 6.
All UK engines back then were cast iron so you can imagine how appealing it was to shoehorn a 3.5 V8 where you previously had a slower and heavier cast iron 4-6 pot. VERY NICE;)

Maurizio

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.