Epoxy based paint PJ1? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2003, 03:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Epoxy based paint PJ1?

I was looking at a few motorcycle sites and saw that PJ1 makes an epoxy based primer and paint in a rattle can. Does anyone know anything about this stuff? Their site is down so no info there. The price is right 7 bucks for a can so for small parts I think it would be a great deal and I pretty much only do small stuff.

So I was wondering if this would be an alternative to mixing up primer for small jobs? How good is this stuff?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2003, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

Epoxy Paint

I can't comment on the PJ1 paint ,I've never heard of the stuff .
I can tell you that REAL epoxy is a 2 part system ,base material ,and catalyst .How does this work in a rattle can?????
If you are doing ONLY small areas ,I do know that there are some spot primers out there that are compatible with automotive type paints .But you should see your local auto paint jobbers ,as the brands/names may be different in your area from mine . Rick
Old 11-16-2003, 11:34 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

I've had some good results using Sem's flexable bumper primer on little spots and small parts instead of getting a gun dirty like your thinking. Even though it's designed for bumpers it acts nice...

http://www.semproducts.com/sempages/semtrimpaint.html
Old 11-16-2003, 11:54 PM

F1 I don't know how the rattle can would work, my motorcycle uses a urethane clear and that requires a hardner but I can buy it in a can so not sure what the deal is.

milo thanks for the info.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:09 AM
Last photo:

Re: Epoxy based paint PJ1?

Quote:
Originally posted by daimon1054
I was looking at a few motorcycle sites and saw that PJ1 makes an epoxy based primer and paint in a rattle can. Does anyone know anything about this stuff? Their site is down so no info there. The price is right 7 bucks for a can so for small parts I think it would be a great deal and I pretty much only do small stuff.

So I was wondering if this would be an alternative to mixing up primer for small jobs? How good is this stuff?
No matter what it says on the can, it is not true epoxy. Epoxy requires a catalyst. When the catalyst is mixed with the resin a chemical reaction is triggered that cures (hardens) the mixture. Epoxy does not require air to dry. There is no way to put a true epoxy primer into a rattle can. Also there is no rattle can primer, bar none that I would trust under a paint job.

Vince
Old 11-17-2003, 05:34 AM

Well if Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM and Suzuki all say it is epoxy I am thinking it is.
I think these guys http://www.armorpoxy.com/html/about.htm might disagree with you as well. They offer a 1 part epoxy paint and they say you don't even need a primer and the coat will last 20 years.

Again I don't know how it is supposed to work but then again I don't know how fat people have sex either but I know they do

Same for the UC150 urethane clear, how can I buy that in a can and not need a catalyst?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.