Hot Rod Forum banner

to epoxy or not

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
hi,
Here's my dilemma. I have an 81 el camino ( Thats not the dilemma) that i have been prepping for paint. The build tag on the cowl indicates it was painted with lacquer so I decided to strip it to bare metal. It was originally from Arizona so i have been very lucky and had to deal with very little rust. I have found some small chips and very, very little surface rust on the inside bottom of the front fender. I really don't want to strip all the paint from the interior of the fender but I'm also cautious to shoot epoxy over the lacquer paint. Is there any other product I can use to seal and protect it after I remove the rust.
Thank for any help
Tom

#2 ·
I am an old lacquer guy, who used it from the early seventies. :) I stopped using it when you could not find a local store that sells it!

You might do a small test area or panel, to ease your mind about any negative interactions.

I have started using SPI's epoxy, and am very satisfied. I would not be afraid to try it over lacquer.

#4 ·
I have tried it. SPI over lacquer, it works....Only, what I had to do is fill lacquer checks on the hood of a friends racecar(no charge). Not only did it work, it was done and painted five years ago and its still holding up. Sure, stripping it would have been best. but time was an issue and no mony was another..so yes you CAN spray spi over factory lacquer paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.