Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Epoxy Primer Question
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 11:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well, I'll let you know about the Southern Poly's epoxy. I just ordered a gallon today. I hope it gets here in the 3 days they said it will. I need it for this weekend. Time to prime. In Minnesota, ya gotta go when the weather lets ya! Back to stripping the old paint---IE--many..many layers including the old DP from about 8-10 years ago. Yes that stuff did stick by the way. Any recommendations on spraying and gun set up. I will probably use my conventional set up. I have HVLP (new to me) but probably not for the filler.

One last thought here. I have found that a brown scotchbrite (coarse) disc on a 7" grinder at about 2500 rpm works great!!!! The old primer & paint strips in a controlled manner, you can control the amount taken easily. I start feathering and use a blending motion and walla. Before you know it a section is done. There is very little heat if any at all generated. It only takes light pressure and the finish is fairly smooth. I am not sure of the exact micro finish, but I would guess it in the 40 - 50ish range. It looks like about 6-10 discs will do most of my 49 Chevy. Luv those 3M reps with free samples.