Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Epoxy Primer/ sealer Q
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Epoxy Primer/ sealer Q

I have a hood I am working on for my son's car. I sanded the whole thing down with 120 on an electric orbital sander, tacked if off, and sprayed on 4 good coats of 2K primer surfacer.

I let it sit 24 hours and started blocking with 320 dry (all I had on hand and was itching to do something) . My next step would be to wet block with 400 and then dry it, tack it off and apply my SS Urethane black paint.

Am I doing this correctly or should I be doing something else? I would like to skip the epoxy / sealer step as I am on a very tight budget. Is this advisable?

Oh, when I sanded the hood down, I got down to the base coat all over and factory primer in a few spots. Its a 95 camaro with factory paint and not going to be any kind of show car. Its really just something for me to practice on before I tear into my 71 Nova and its 19 yo SSU paint job.

I've been through the paint process on 3 cars, but this is my first time when I will actually be doing the spraying on the final coat.

Thanks for your help!!

Andy