Hot Rod Forum banner

epoxy primer sludge

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  oldred 
#1 ·
when i first bough the primer i used a bit to spray the engine bay and had no problems, yesterday i went to spray again, the epoxy had been sitting on the bench sealed up in its can for about 1 week, i shook the can before opening and the paint at the top appeared normal, however when i mixed the paint with the mixing stick i noticed that the paint at the very bottom of the tin had sort of dried to a sticky sludge , the paint at the top seems unaffected.

im just wondering of my epoxy is junk, or is it still ok to use the top layer of paint?

#4 ·
It's quite apparent that the primer (epoxy?) was not properly mixed the first time it was used. Just shaking the can some usually will not do it and it must be stirred to make sure ALL the components are throughly mixed, apparently this was not done. A lot of the solids, and who knows what else, had settled to the bottom of the can and what was taken out was not in the proper ratio as it was meant to be used. Now if you mix what is left it too will probably be all wrong and it could be risky to use, this is JMO but how could it be the right mix at this point?

#6 ·
I experienced this last year with SPI Epoxy-It would have a bunch of Solids in the bottom (I believe the more solids the better), but once you stirred it up it was fine. I know that Barry has changed the Formula since then, and the last Gallon that I received did not have the same problem-

I would say that unless it's really old (SPI puts the batch date on the Can, and I suspect others do as well)-if it's over a Year old, I would buy some new Activator, stir it really well and use it-just my .02-

#8 ·
35WINDOW said:
I would buy some new Activator, stir it really well and use it-just my .02-

Using it would be risky, it would be no different than changing the amount of activator used IMO. Since it was not properly mixed the first time what is left in all likelihood would have the chemicals that make up the formula in the wrong ratios, I would toss it because if it fails it is going to cost a heck of a lot more than a can of epoxy!

#9 ·
oldred said:
Using it would be risky, it would be no different than changing the amount of activator used IMO. Since it was not properly mixed the first time what is left in all likelihood would have the chemicals that make up the formula in the wrong ratios, I would toss it because if it fails it is going to cost a heck of a lot more than a can of epoxy!

oldred,

I have the utmost resect for your knowledge, however the reason that I mentioned this was that I asked Barry last Fall how long SPI epoxy is good in the Can-his reply was that the Epoxy was good for a long time (I can't remember how long he said-a couple of Years maybe?), but that he would recommend replacing the Activator-

With different brands you may not have to-remember, I said that was just my .02 :D

#10 ·
I re-read the first post. Sounds like he did not use any since the first time he used some. If that is the case, just insure it is agitated properly to where that sludge is all dispersed. Use the proper amount of activator and you should be fine. If however you used any of it without properly agitating it to get rid of the bottom sludge than I agree, toss it.

Vince

#11 ·
35WINDOW said:
oldred,

I have the utmost resect for your knowledge, however the reason that I mentioned this was that I asked Barry last Fall how long SPI epoxy is good in the Can-his reply was that the Epoxy was good for a long time (I can't remember how long he said-a couple of Years maybe?), but that he would recommend replacing the Activator-

With different brands you may not have to-remember, I said that was just my .02 :D

I am not talking about how old it is but the fact that if the components had separated and then part of the contents was used without being re-mixed properly it could cause problems. If some of the components that make up the mixture had settled to the bottom when part of the contents were used then what was used would not have been a proper mix ratio, what is left then would also be the wrong mix. If it was mixed properly the first time and this "sludge" has settled since then it should no problem just mix up what settled and all should be OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.