Epoxy recoat window. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Epoxy recoat window.

My epoxy (SPI)says that the recoat window without sanding is 7 days.So that means to me that I can recoat it with more epoxy or high build primer or base without sanding in the next week.What are your experiences with this? Now what about fillers where do they fall into the equation are they considered the same ? Do I have a week before I have to start scuffing the primer or is the window for fillers smaller?
Thanks!
Blair

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

Temp and humidity will effect your "window"
Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Big Dog.... That is my understanding. What I usually do is apply any fillers within the first couple of days, as I believe that you would have the best adhesion that way. You can scuff it at any time, if you want. You can shoot more epoxy on it within that window, without sanding. After that time, it is recommended that you scuff and apply another coat of epoxy before anything else, from my understanding.

Here is what I do. I shoot a couple of coats of unreduced epoxy, and let it sit overnight. I can then block it with no problems. I will then shoot more if more filling is needed. If it is ready for paint, I will shoot some epoxy that is reduced about 20%-25% to get a good smooth surface. That is normally over a surface that has been blocked with 180-320. The next day, I can shoot the base right over it. I have waited as much as a week to paint over it, and had no problems that way. I have heard of people waiting even longer. I just don't like to push it to the limit, as I would have to pay for mistakes I make.

Aaron
Old 08-30-2007, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

adtkart after epoxy I have seen a few places that aren't as good as I like . So I'm going to fix them to my liking then recoat the whole thing including the new bare spots.Then put on any fill that is needed.I ended up getting stuck and it's going to be 4-5 days before I can put on any fillers.So I won't take a chance I won't get max adheasion on them .I will recoat and fill the next day.
Thanks!
Blair
Old 08-30-2007, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

Blair, here's my 2 cents on the subject for what it's worth. The first few days after spraying epoxy will offer your best adhesion so try to use that to your advantage. After a few days just give your primer a quick scuff to open it up then apply your filler. After 7 days you'll need a 180 grit scratch in the now cured epoxy for mechanical adhesion of the filler but you've now lost the extra adhesion you had when the recoat window was open. These products (polyester and epoxy) work extremely well together when used right.

Here's another option I sometimes use to take full advantage of the extra bond and not lose any recoatability due to time- I shoot two coats of epoxy over the bare metal and allow it to cure up overnight, the next day I shoot two coats of polyester primer over the epoxy and allow it to cure. Now I've taken full advantage of that extra bond strength and the panel can set for awhile without worrying anout losing the recoat window. And when it gets blocked any low areas that are found can be filled with filler without problem because polyester filler bonds to polyester primer perfectly-I hope that made sense.

To some I'm sure this stuff sounds overcomplicated and unnecessary but in reality once you get the proceedures down it becomes second nature, quick, and easy. All the work that was considered extra is long forgotten soon after the results are seen when the job is done but much appreciated 20+ years from now.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Bob,Your option # 2 is what I will be doing from now on as I don't think I will need much filler anywhere else.And because sometimes the car has to sit before I can get to it. I can't get to the car for the next 4 days so I'm going to wipe it clean then and do a recoat of epoxy and then fill on that .I had a couple of spots that I wanted to fix after I had epoxied them as they were pin holes .So i rewelded them and fixed them up.I bought some USC all metal that I was going to us as the filler well it was hardened in the can .I've never used it before and I thought it was just the way it was until I started using it.I should have taken it back then but no I got some on the car now it's on there .The paint guy said that I should probably remove it .....Great !! He gave me this stuff called Steel it's suppose to be good almost twice as much as the All metal. And it's just like butter .
I appreciate all of your guys input I know it will become second nature it's just making yourself do it.Mixing and spraying the paint isn't that bad at all and I was kinda putting it off because I was scared of it.!
Thanks!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.