Epoxy Sealer-Primer With 2K Build Primer on top - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 11:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Epoxy Sealer-Primer With 2K Build Primer on top

I am painting my truck. I used PPG Omni MP170 Epoxy to seal the bare metal. I have a gallon of 5 Star High 2K High build Primer to spray over it for blocking and minor scratch fill.

Has anyone used these together. Has anyone had any problems with this combination.

I snagged my air hose on a the corner of the bumper causing me to create a small run in the MP170. Should I wait for it to fully cure (3 Days) and sand it or would it be ok to go ahead and put the 5 start over it and fix it when I block it out.

Any tips on Painting a hood on a tall truck. I can not reach the back of the hood without a ladder. I would assume that I would use a step ladder and work the dry line from the front of the hood to the back. Work the dry line right off into the windshield area. Or would it be better to remove it and shoot it off of the truck.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 AM

Last photo:

hi,yes removing the hood would be a better idea..well i think so but others might disagree.The epoxy primer and the high build primer i would think they would be okey with each other but don't take my word for it...hopefully someone will come alone and tell you the correct way.

thanks..
Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM

I've used the 5 star 2K before. I would rather put laq primer over a panel than use 5 star again. I had a bad experience with it when I first opened my shop. The paint chiped right at the door lock all the way back to the primer and by the time It was finished it had peeled all the way to the center of the door. For cheap primer I use montana 2 part. Its high build, cheap in cost, and sands really nice and so far holds up to a pretty good beating with the bulls in the china shop that I've got working for me.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

To answer the question yes that combo will work, I won't get into quality or anything else but if used in the right manner you will be fine.

My suggestion would be, spray a coat of the epoxy and a second coat after 30-60 minutes.
Let set overnight.
Spray primer next morning but give at least 10-20 minutes between coats, yes, overkill and not necessary but to your benefit if you have the time.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

What should I use. I have sprayed the MP170 on most of the truck but I would rather make sure I am using the correct stuff now than later. If I have to take a step backwards now. It is a lot easier to do. Please let me know the pros and cons of other types of primer and paint. What corners not to cut with brands of paint. I plan on keeping this truck for a very long time but I am on a budget also. At this point I would like to get it in primer even if I prime it with the MP170 and wait until I have the money to get the better paint and primer later. I am trying to get the metal protected right away.

Is the quality issue with the MP170 or the 5 Star high build.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.