Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Epoxy vs Urethane Primer
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I too have never heard of such a thing as a urethane etch primer. And fill. Not any etch I've seen. All I've used are very thin. I am guessing some information got mixed up. Etch primers or wash primer that I've used has been two parts and is an acid. It basically is the same thing is metal prep except sprayed on instead of wiped on like the metal prep is. I would go with the epoxy also. The recommended procedure by icar when I started was to metal condition or apply an etch primer to all bare steel followed by an epoxy primer then a filler primer if needed, but I always skipped the etch. The only time where I've seen etch primer used alot in bodyshops or places I've worked that worked with metal parts is the often used etch primer on aluminum parts. If I remember correctly, you are not suppose to apply filler over etch primer. It would need to be epoxy primed first or any filler work done before the etch is applyed.