Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Epoxy vs Urethane Primer
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 08:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I was under the impression that this is urethane but the Tech sheet I have does not say that specifically. The description reads: " RS1000 Etching Filler is ideal for spot/panel repairs where bare metal is present. It increases both adhesion and corrosion protection on bare substrates. It fills minor surface imperfections and may be topcoated directly for quick easy repairs." It goes on with other data, but it does not give any chemical composition. It is a two-component paint.

This is suppose to be a newer product technology that is better than epoxy, but that is according to the paint dealer.

<<<Never trust the guys behind the paint counters ... >>>

That is why I am asking. This stuff goes on great and it sands very nicely, no loading of the paper at all. It was recommended that I use the RS1000 for the base and R3702, which is a high build primer surfacer, over that.

I've put in hundreds of hours rebuilding the monocoque chassis and I don't want to dork it up now. I'll shoot myself if the paint starts falling off in a year. My main concern is corrosion. Since I have new metal/clean metal I want to apply the best protective coating I can.

Maybe epoxy is a better way to go. Thanks for your insights.