Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Epoxy vs Urethane Primer
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 07:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question. Your help is very much appreciated in my attempt to understand how to complete this project successfully. They say there are no secrets, just things you have yet to learn. I still have a ways to go…

Regarding the primer I have; Western RA1000 Etching Filler. I called it a urethane primer. I don’t know that to be a fact. The spec sheet does not say what type of paint it is. Some posts have said there is no such thing. How do I know if this is a urethane or not? There are chemical components listed on the can. What do I look for to tell if it is a urethane?

I have already converted (phosphated) the bare metal, that is to say I have prepped the bare metal with a metal conditioner/treatment (Eastwood’s Oxisolv) and then cleaned (Eastwood’s PRE) the surface. This has been said to be a recommended procedure prior to applying an epoxy primer. Even though it may not be necessary, I am assuming that this treatment will not cause any problems with the etching primer I am using. Does anyone disagree?

Overspray, you have said, “If you have already converted <snip> then an epoxy primer would be a good choice” and “Now days I mostly deal with rusty old bodies and I prefer the etching primers on a lot of that type of work.”. I am getting the sense that either using epoxy or etch primer on this project is correct and that I am not making a mistake going either way.

Thanks again everyone for all the information!!