Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Epoxy vs Urethane Primer
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 05:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've used three DTM primers by PPG and one from Dupont but never tried the stuff you've purchased. Two of the PPG primers were discontinued. Although they are great for ease of work they just don't offer the adhesion or protection a true epoxy provides (IMO). I would never consider using them on a completely stripped bare shell. IMO they are suited more for collision work where you may have a few cut throughs to bare metal in a repair area. The stuff in the link does not specify any preferred surface texture- no recomendation on sanding grit for bare metal so obviously it's just a miracle product designed for production work. I'm sure it would work fine applied over scuffed epoxy though. Your best bet IMO would be to clean the sheetmetal really well, sand with 80grit then 180 on a DA and scuff the nooks and crannies by hand then apply two-three nice medium wet coats of epoxy primer, after that the DTM primer or any polyester or urethane primer could be applied. The two most important steps when priming bare metal are getting the surface textured to provide tooth for the primer to adhere to and making sure it is perfectly clean for good adhesion.