Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Epoxy vs Urethane Primer
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 10:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Old thread, I realize, but...

I am new to the forum. I am preparing to do all the stripping, bodywork, prep and painting of my 1967 Triumph TR-4A (Car). In years past (25 years ago), I worked with laquer on motorcycles. A lot seems to have changed since then...

I have read elsewhere that if the original paint on a car is in very good condition (and mine is- it has never been repainted), that the original paint makes for an excellent base to work on- that it is either undesirable or unnecessary to completely strip the entire car if there are no extra layers of paint on it.

What I cannot find an answer to is this:

There are some portions of the car that I will be sandblasting (engine compartment and interior) that need stripping. There are some portions that will require minor dent repair, some that will require interior panel replacement. All of the modern primers seem to have different limitations- one is for bare metal, and another is for primed metal, another for painted metal...my car will have all 3 surfaces!

Using a bc/cc as a finish, and working backwards, I am having a lot of trouble coming up with a step-by-step plan for when to prime, when to bodywork, when to use a filler primer, etc... I am also concerned about having to use different primers on different parts of the car, and how all those different products overlapping might cause hreadaches later. I will also need to use something like Oxysolve after sandblasting in order to keep the bare metal from rusting until I can either prime it or put filler in it. Some have opined that the use of this product under fillers is a bad idea.

Is there a thread in this forum that gives an example as far as a plan for how to deal with these issues, and which order to proceed if I am trying not to strip the entire car and end up with bc/cc?

Anything will be much appreciated. Thank you.

-Dave