Equipment or Operator? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Equipment or Operator?

Howdy! I don't post here very often but I was hopeing someone could answer a few questions about a (for lack of a better term) pinch welder. This was passed down to me from an uncle who was a body man for OLds in the 50's/early 60's.
First off... Whats the trigger for? It dosn't seem to do anything.
Also I found the tips 'off centered' with one being just forward of the other. I adjusted them to be directly in line with each other. Is this correct?
It makes a buzzing noise, which I have herd from large transformers before, but I'd feel more comfortable knowing I wasn't in for a melt down of some sort.
As you can see from the pix it sems to put plenty of heat into the weld, but I don't get the 'dimple' effect that I see in OEM spot welds.
And last... There is a white crust residue on the tips and between a segment of the angle piece that I pryed open. Could this be the result of the angeled piece being galvinized? The curved metal is mild steel.
One other thing... the extension cord I was useing got warm to the touch, the cord on the unit is a much hevyer gague. Any information or tips on the use of this tool would be very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC00001.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	25333   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC00003.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	25334   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC00007.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	25335   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC00006.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	25336  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Equipment or operator

It's been a while since I've used a spot welder, but I'll give your questions a shot.

The trigger is what initiates the weld. As I remember, all you have to do is hit it and release it.To test how long to hit the trigger, cut some strips of metal and offset them before you weld them. After you spot them together, twist them to break the weld. What you are trying to do is find the shortest time you hit the trigger and still get a good weld. Obviously the heaver the gauge, the longer the hit will have to be. You shouldn't have to hold the trigger to get the weld. Don't worry about the dimple as long as the weld holds.

The buzzing sound is normal. Don't know what else to say here.

The white residue is from the galvanizing on the metal. If you are going to be doing a lot of galvanized work, wear at least a particle mask. Nasty stuff!

You will want to use an extension cord that is at least the same gauge or larger than the cord on the unit.

One tip here...shape the tong tips so they have a slight crown to them with a file. Then when you are using the welder, use Emmery cloth to keep them clean. If there is too much build up on the tips, it will affect the welds. If you notice any pitting, then refile the tips.

These welders can be a great help when building bodies. I've often wished I had one to use.

I think this is all good advice, but if anyone can correct any of it, please chime in.

Hope this helps, Youngster.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You pretty much have it............we used them when I wotked in the AMC plant...........before robots replaced all the weldersr

Budget RVs

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.