Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Is the era of the fiberglass custom coming to an end?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
I'm not sure the 'glass cars will disappear, but this economy will sure tighten the availability of body choices as well as manufacturers. When you talk of '37 Ford, I'm not a big fan of the Coast to Coast or OZE phantom bodies either, preferring at least original looking as a beginning. Then there are the other avilable body styles - and in my part of the US (rust belt) there just aren't many salvageable '30s and '40s hulks to make hot rods from at any price. They are either scrapped and total rot or became race cars then scrap. That leaves you with the after market, either 'glass or Brookville type reproductions. Yes, you can still find a '30-'31 Ford, but these too are becoming scarce and expensive as the hot rod market is being pushed that way by the magazines.

Too bad about various manufacturer's disappearing - I always hate seeing a viable hobby business fail
It's certainly not going to disappear. Neither are the steel body reproductions, have you seen that Bob Drake 40 Coupe body, what a beauty that is.

If anything like my first comment the "custom" off the shelf car may be getting old. Like I said, if you want a custom you make one. It makes no sense to me to buy one of those 37 Ford sort of looking cars like it's a custom when everyone else who buys one is buying the same one so it isn't "custom" at all. That's all I meant. But like I said, it's just my opinion, I understand that. There is no one who likes customized cars more than me, I just don't understand the concept of buying a car like that, but again, it's just my person opinion. It's sort of like the "Hot topic" store, where everyone goes to be "different", well if so many people shop there they aren't that different are they?

The fiberglass and steel reproduction bodies are here to stay. They fill a need and will be here forever. As for the "custom" 37 Ford body we are talking about, I think people have just gotten tired of it.

Brian