Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Is the era of the fiberglass custom coming to an end?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I get more and more guys asking about how I built and titled my plastic car.

As I have noted a number of times, you have to document every purchace very carefully as you may have to prove it is valid sale.

If you use a donor car it too must be titled as you may have to prove ownership of it too.

I would never recommend using parts off a junk car with no title. Even swap meet parts can be bad news unless well documented.

The cost of restoration of a rust bucket is getting so high that is not practical to do this. You can buy a plastic car tht is nearly read to finish and save a lot of work. If you want to customize it, it is far easier to work with 'glass than shape metal....imho.

The hardest part is the interior as there are very few mounting points so you have to fab all of those. It takes carefull planing to get this right. the interior shops don't all have experience doing this so it can get out of hand in a hurriy if you just drop the car off and say"do the interior".

Not all NOS will fit the 'glass cars either. You may have to do a bit of modification to get things to line up or fit. But, What's new about that.???

I agree about the 'glass' customized cars. Not everyone wants one of these. I just saw 2 of these at the Gopher show and frankly I would not want either one. Just too radical for me. Plus they were very high end cars. I could not imagin driving one in the rain or even driving a long distance in them. I guess I just have different ideas of streetrods.

It was surprising that many of the 'old' cars displayed were don by a younger set. 30's to 50's