Hot Rod Forum banner

estimate my hp 464 BBB

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
Ok hotrodders this is what I got for you I'm currently in the process of building 464 cubic inch big block Buick Motor the plan is to go with a forged piston about 11 to 1 ratio I'm going with ta Performance stage 2 aluminum heads with matching stage 2 aluminum intake with the port work being done so then it all flows very well I probably go with a ta Performance cam with about a .575 lift 1000 CFM demon carburetor full tube headers down to two and a half inch exhaust can someone in here give me a rough estimate of what type of horse power this motor should make thank you in advance.

#2 ·
We will need actual camshaft spec's(duration @.050", Lobe Separation Angle, Intake Lobe Centerline), and the actual flow numbers from the heads to have any idea at all what kind of power you could make.

Bore and stroke would help too, Buick is a little off the common path here, most don't have those figures memorized.

Header primary diameter and length, collector diameter and length.

Feed us the info, no way to guess based on what little info you gave us.

About all I can tell you now is the 2.5" exhaust will be too small if you are after serious power(550hp+)

#5 ·
So I need to go 3 inch exhaust!!! also 360 horsepower is by far a low estimate I appreciate that all feedback is good feedback but stage 1 heads with aluminum intake will a mild cam with two and a half inch exhaust on a build done by Hot Rod Magazine produced 500 horsepower with a stock crank in forged pistons

#6 ·
"Stage #" means different things to different folks.

Buick "Stage 1" 455s are very strong low-speed engines. Make GREAT low-end and mid-range power. Top-end is limited due to the weak block.

Are you referring to options from a company such as T/A Performance? Poston Enterprises (now defunct) in Alabama had an excellent book about the Buick, and how to build it "tough". The cam bearings, in particular, need to "oil" better. A lifter bore brace is also helpful (the one I've seen that actually does more than give the owner a "warm fuzzy").

At 11:1, 550-600 HP is easily doable. I would rethink the carb choice to a more modern and available carb like AED or QF. An 850HP would suffice.

The T/A timing cover has a bigger pump in it. Speed Pro has a "high volume" conversion if your current cover is "perfect". Distributor/cam gear issues are not uncommon.

As others have said, cam specs and head flow are paramount to predicting power output.

We don't recommend 3" exhaust on a low-speed engine until CID exceeds 500. For a 5,500 RPM Buick, 2 1/2" is more desirable.

FWIW

Jim

#7 ·
My mild 454 Camaro went 4/10s quicker dropping the 2 1/2 exhaust,thats 50 hp,take that off the top of your "potential" 500 hp. Just to start. A 5 liter could get away with 2 1/2 inch exhaust or a mild less than 6 liter,imo.
you have not yet said flow numbers so I err to the low side. Even my own combo sbc with full 3 inch exhaust, I take away 75 hp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.