Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   ETgenie (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/etgenie-233453.html)

1Gary 05-31-2013 09:30 AM

ETgenie

What do you think??.

My website

A part of me says I should be concerned about a lean condition and damages-then there is apart of me that says it isn't much different than a part throttle.

Guys,opinions??.:confused:

gearheadslife 05-31-2013 04:30 PM

bet you could use a drive by wire stepper motor and a volume knob(reostat) on the dash to set it. even those supwoofer amp wired gain control would work and be small enough to hide and or not hit while in the car,changing your setting

vinniekq2 05-31-2013 09:11 PM

I would think pulling the timing would be easier

F-BIRD'88 06-01-2013 05:22 AM

A lot simpler to just use a Qjet carb and limit the Air door opening as required.

Instead of building a big expensive engine or paying someone else to build this engine for you,
just build a simple cost effective low compression smaller engine say a 305 or 350 using off the shelf parts and
then supercharge it.
Engine power and car performance is adjusted by simply adjusting the supercharger pulley ratio.
The engine never runs hard enough to hurt itself. No exotic parts required,,, easy to maintain.. much more reliable.
A Weiand 177 blower will make this engine more than powerfull enough to run anywhere in the required ET range.
Can run may bracket classes. or dial power up/down to run top or bottom of the class.

Simple and low cost is better. It is a LOT MORE FUN

Drive it to and from the track.

gearheadslife 06-01-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 (Post 1680652)
A lot simpler to just use a Qjet carb and limit the Air door opening as required.

Instead of building a big expensive engine or paying someone else to build this engine for you,
just build a simple cost effective low compression smaller engine say a 305 or 350 using off the shelf parts and
then supercharge it.
Engine power and car performance is adjusted by simply adjusting the supercharger pulley ratio.
The engine never runs hard enough to hurt itself. No exotic parts required,,, easy to maintain.. much more reliable.
A Weiand 177 blower will make this engine more than powerfull enough to run anywhere in the required ET range.
Can run may bracket classes. or dial power up/down to run top or bottom of the class.

Simple and low cost is better. It is a LOT MORE FUN

Drive it to and from the track.

have you seen what blowers cost lately. 2500.00 plus all the little crap that adds up. boost ref carb and fuel reg.

and wouldn't blown put him in a different class than the n/a would be in.
sounds like he's index racing not brackets

1Gary 06-01-2013 09:43 AM

When I talk about a target ET of 11.38,it's for a lower end of a range of a ET class where the cut-off is 11.50.

With this devise I am somewhat concerned about leaning out the engine at the top end.The plan I have in mind is a 12.1 SCR or more,solid roller.

gearheadslife 06-01-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Gary (Post 1680704)
When I talk about a target ET of 11.38,it's for a lower end of a range of a ET class where the cut-off is 11.50.

With this devise I am somewhat concerned about leaning out the engine at the top end.The plan I have in mind is a 12.1 SCR or more,solid roller.

I like it, but hear ya, it be better if it cloed the hole like a camera lens shutter so the hole was centered instead of off to one side

you could take and make/but a carb hat, and pipe tubing to a cool air source and install a ls throttle body inline/between the airfilter and carb hat, and use the drive by wire motor to hold the ls t/b at the opening you want, with no effect on the airflow throught the venturi. and still be redkneck easy wire it to a 2 step and it could close it down at (rpm) in high gear to slow you down. keeping full power at 1-2 gear. it act like a throttle stop without being one, no idea how or if they'd call that legal.. one way to find out.

1Gary 06-01-2013 01:10 PM

In the class I want to run a "drive by wire" or anything else like it would have to be OEM.

Electronic devises allowed is only a two step only.And data recording devises that can not be revealed during the run,but played back afterwards.I.E. a tach that shows the rpm during the run.

The faster classes is more of anything goes with delay boxes,throttle stops,etc.That is the classes I am retiring from.Like Hot Rod,Quick Rod,etc.

The possibility of this ET genie leaning out the top end question and the more complicated effect of flow is a question I have been hoping Techinspector 1 would chime in on.For sure I have heard of restrict'or plate racing in NASCAR,but never really looked into all what that meant.I mean we never build engines for NASCAR before and have a limited involvement in oval track racing in general.:confused::confused:

gearheadslife 06-01-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Gary (Post 1680766)
In the class I want to run a "drive by wire" or anything else like it would have to be OEM.

Electronic devises allowed is only a two step only.And data recording devises that can not be revealed during the run,but played back afterwards.I.E. a tach that shows the rpm during the run.

The faster classes is more of anything goes with delay boxes,throttle stops,etc.That is the classes I am retiring from.Like Hot Rod,Quick Rod,etc.

The possibility of this ET genie leaning out the top end question and the more complicated effect of flow is a question I have been hoping Techinspector 1 would chime in on.For sure I have heard of restrict'or plate racing in NASCAR,but never really looked into all what that meant.I mean we never build engines for NASCAR before and have a limited involvement in oval track racing in general.:confused::confused:

but what I listed above isn't drive by wire. you still have the carb and throttle cable opening the carb..
the drive by wire stepper motor on the ls throttlebody would only be like a varible restrictor plate..controlled by the 2 step. with a volume knob (reostat) to pick your settings.

F-BIRD'88 06-01-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearheadslife (Post 1680685)
have you seen what blowers cost lately. 2500.00 plus all the little crap that adds up. boost ref carb and fuel reg.

and wouldn't blown put him in a different class than the n/a would be in.
sounds like he's index racing not brackets

you can bolt this blower onto a basic near stock Low cr 305 or 350 that
you can easily build yourself for peanuts.
EG: bolt 76cc home preped and ported 350 smogger heads on a stock dished piston 305 motor
A boost referenced carb is a 20 minute modification.
any 750cfm carb is fine.

low compression allows lots of boost on pump gas.
easy 500+hp. from a 177 blower without stress.
dial the boost up and down to adjust the ET. blower pulley swap.
Dirt simple. Any bracket race class can run these blowers. Its a "street car"
Off the shelf crane flat tappet cam. near stock low compression ratio engine pump gas.
Index classes cam run it too. eg 11.90 or 11.50 index.

building a expensive 12:1cr roller big block and then choking it down makes no economic sense.
A low cost simple combo that you can build and maintain all yourself, is better.

They only pay you to run the dial in and get there first, consistantly . They don't pay you for eye wash or voodoo.

All this voodoo BS Gary is purposing is not going to get you there. learn how to set up your own car and learn to cut a good light and drive consistantly. Very impractical- over expensive over complex plan.

gearheadslife 06-02-2013 07:25 AM

feel free to start a thread on that boost ref carb mod:thumbup:

1Gary 06-02-2013 09:03 AM

Not one national winner isn't holding numbers in their package.Back door racers with the best drivers is hit and miss.

I do appreciate the time and suggests posted to this thread from everyone.Really mean that.

Climate minor changes does effect blower motors more the N/A/. That applies more so when taking into account my expectation of how critical I am in dialing the numbers for this car.So a blower motor of any kind is not under consideration.

The two fold logic for this BBC is a expression of how damm tired I am building engines for today's pump gas and if I break out of a class,the ability to position the car in the worsted case still saving numbers to end up in the middle of the next fastest class.

With we having won a national event,I know full well how that math game is played in bracket racing.

Still hoping Techinspector 1 will chime in with his math skills.This is even with lightening a heavy car and needs the torque of a BBC to cover numbers.I know where it should be at 60'/330',the mph in a 1/8.What I am looking for in the math skills Richard has is a correlation to a dyno sym given those 60'/330',mph numbers.The number to cover at the bottom of the sportsman class is 7.50,so I would want the car to run say 7.40.Then hold it back to 7.50's to keep it from running under using a say 4.56 rear on a 28" tire with a glide at about 3,000lbs.But because it will be the chase car,still be able to mph on the back haft of the run.

One question is if a 468 would be better than a 496 because of it's smaller stroke to buzz higher for the mph factor.The partnership short of the last five yrs has been all SBC's.Yrs ago we went through a period with 454 engines and problems with that,that we took a two yr break from racing and came back using SBC's only.It's only been the last five yrs that we have been using aftermarket BBC blocks with this yr's engine actually beening smaller than the other two engines before it and we are spinning it higher getting the expected results.The aftermarket blocks for this race deal is just not in the running,but as I said 12.5 SCR and a solid roller cam is in part of the plan and if needed a stroker kit.Also a engine build that isn't stressed much for longevity and consistency.

Richard please chime in with you thoughts.

Thanks everyone so far,

Gary

vinniekq2 06-02-2013 09:53 AM

bore to stroke,I cant see how you could beat the 531? your original post said budget engine,which is why I said 454 flat tappet,,,
the 531 solid roller and 4.88 gears and you would have to shave seconds,not tenths.
looks like you are building a throttle stop engine but with a different throttle stop? Looking for top end drive around,controllable HP?put a "g-tech" and a stop watch on the dash and foot drive,,,
install a cruise control sensor from a mercedes that has variable cruise control with spacing sensor,,,wire it to a light instead of the throttle,,,
use a VVC with a manual lock? on inboard limiter,
use a gps/g-tech with a count down 1/4 mile guage,,,
and like I said before,a timing pull back,,
I see the budget has changed

1Gary 06-02-2013 10:10 AM

Vinnie-I get your point and to build a high compression solid roller 468 may very well be the best plan.Thing that has me thinking is breaking out of the sportsman class and ending up be the car being chased.Before I got involved in the 9.90 cars with my partner,I do have some not some not fond memories of being just out and out beat.On my dial,with decent lights and still losing.

F-BIRD'88 06-02-2013 11:57 AM

Climate minor changes does effect blower motors more the N/A/.

This is not true.. Do not confusel a 11sec supercharged street blower car with a promod or A/FC car where track conditions cause the variance in ET.

The ET class you will be running will not support running a race gas motor. You will get reall tired and broke real fast. The simple supercharged SBC car will be more consisitant/much easier to set the performance level
and LOT cheaper to operate. The 11's don't pay much to win.

The only classes that will pay enough to win will be ones you ahve to qualify for (quick 16 field etc).
The supercharged car allows you to do this. easily and for less.

Your plan will end up $30K in a 12sec malibu that is not completive. and no fun.
Powerglide big mistake.. You want a th350 or th400 that auto shifts all by it self. race in D.
Consistantcy is what wins.
This is a 12sec car not a supergas car.