European Union considering banning of hot rods - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

European Union considering banning of hot rods

This was just posted to my site by a member from another site. I know both members and they are straight shooters. Fad-T (Gerry) is also a member here, so below is his post....................

Sorry guys but I thought you might like to see what going on in Europe at the moment.
I understand SEMA is also getting involved due to the possible 'roll on effect'. I have copied the pertinent words from our Rods n Sods forum.
The implications of this new law, which in the opinion of a number of our MEPs (Member of European Parliament) WILL go through, spells the end for most Hot Rods ever being allowed on European roads.

I hope that the USA does not follow this kind of legislation but it may be worth doing a bit of research, before, like us it becomes too late to do anything about it.

We are not 100% sure this will become law but the indications are that it will in 2013.

quote:
EU ROADWORTHINESS TESTING

When the European Parliament Historic Vehicle Group (EPHVG) met in May, Szabolcs Schmidt the head of the EC Road Safety Unit, mentioned that proposals for revisions to the Roadworthiness Testing Directive, following a 2010 consultation, were expected ‘in the summer’. In July, the European Commission published the detail which turned out to be a proposal to replace the current Roadworthiness Testing Directive (2009/40/EC) with a completely new Directive.

The draft of the new Directive has implications for all motorists, not just historic vehicle owners. Amongst other things, the draft includes requirements to test all trailers (which in turn implies a registration system) and requires tests to make reference to a vehicle’s original ‘technical characteristics’. The meaning of this expression is not defined. National governments are granted the right to make their own testing arrangements for ‘vehicles of historic interest’. A vehicle of historic interest is then defined as one that
• Was manufactured more than 30 years ago
• Is maintained by use of replacement parts which reproduce the historic components of the vehicle
• Has not sustained any change in the technical characteristics of its main components such as engine, brakes, steering or suspension; and
• Has not been changed in its appearance.

FBHVC considers this definition to be unworkable and completely unacceptable. FBHVC also rejects the suggestion that Roadworthiness Testing should relate to a vehicle’s ‘technical characteristics’, whatever the age of the vehicle. Modifications, alterations and improvements are all part of the history of motor vehicles and the older the vehicle, the more likely it is that it will have been altered at some stage. At present the basic tenet of a UK MoT test is that it is one of mechanical fitness. There is no database of original specifications for UK vehicles, so testing to original 'technical characteristics' is simply pie-in-the-sky.

Earlier this month, the Department for Transport asked stakeholders for comment on the proposals. FBHVC will be responding formally to this request when further analysis of the detailed proposals has been completed. FBHVC will be discussing the implications of the proposal with the international organisation, FIVA, and through them with the EPHVG group as well as with the All Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicle Group in the UK.

It should be remembered that this is still just a proposal. It has to have approval by each EU member country before it is adopted. Some media commentary on this topic has tended towards the ‘we’re doomed’ end of the scale. It is certainly a serious issue and FBHVC is treating it accordingly.
Unquote

Although the above seems quite optimistic, things have moved on and not in a positive way.

The 30 year rule may save some but careful reading shows that any Historic vehicle over 30 years old MUST be in an original condition. That is as it came from the factory.

I can only suggest you guys may want to look in to whats happening in the USA as we have been caught with our pants down. People have been working on this (from our car clubs etc) for the last 7 years to find out what was coming, but unfortunately, 99% of the people it will effect have had the attitude of
'It will never happen' and now it looks too late to do anything about it.

I hope will all my heart that the US does not follow this and will try and keep you informed as to where it ends up.

A very very unhappy T Bucket owner.

"www.tbucketforum.com", THE T-Bucket Builders Home • View topic - EU plans to ban Hot Rods

My response to Gerry's post...................

Just another reason to support SEMA by purchasing from SEMA vendors. SEMA is our hobby's only lobbying body in Washington and to date has done a grand job protecting our hobby. I hope our legislators are bright enough to realize our hobby will self-curtail in the not too distant future just due to the price of gas as we switch over to electrics, and that there is no action they need to take.

Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 02:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Terrible, I was just there a month ago and from what I read in some vintage car mags there (practical classics) they were talking about doing away with there inspection (MOT) for cars older than I think 1959. Believe it or not many enthusiasts were opposed to them doing that ! I hope they gather together and fight this, I think they (you know who) would never try this here ,too many of US here, they would piss off too many people.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 AM

I always find it a joke when restrictions try to take our hot rods away. The rich cruise with boats that eat gallons per hour of fuel and pollute the waterways, the trucking companies puke diesel into the air all day and a few of us cruising down the road are going to be picked on. Give me a break! Not to mention factory pollution... I could go on.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
I always find it a joke when restrictions try to take our hot rods away. The rich cruise with boats that eat gallons per hour of fuel and pollute the waterways, the trucking companies puke diesel into the air all day and a few of us cruising down the road are going to be picked on. Give me a break! Not to mention factory pollution... I could go on.
Amen.

The current buzz word is "carbon footprint". Our old Hot Rods have a carbon footprint the size of a flea and this won't change, ever. Look at the carbon footprint to build a new "electric" or "hybrid" vehicle. That's the size of a sasquatch.

What Europe is doing will happen here if the same folks are at the helm next year that are at the helm this year. It's all about image and positioning, no time to deal with facts.

I support SEMA... thanks for starting this post.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

I support the NRA also......
Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 PM

There again, these are the same knobends that set a rule as to the permissible bend in a banana. The EU is a joke. It sets rules and regulations to benefit one or two members while everyone else blindly plays along to their own detriment. The UK tends to buck the trend more than other members but i doubt hotrodding is a major concern to silver spoon Cameron.

I just hope the US doesn't try the same stunt. You never know though...China really wants your vintage steel.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrickc2010 View Post
....I just hope the US doesn't try the same stunt.
They will, it's just a matter of time. All we need is a slow news week and for a hotrod to wipe out a bus load of kids or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Just another reason to support SEMA by purchasing from SEMA vendors. SEMA is our hobby's only lobbying body in Washington and to date has done a grand job protecting our hobby. I hope our legislators are bright enough to realize our hobby will self-curtail in the not too distant future just due to the price of gas as we switch over to electrics, and that there is no action they need to take.
I couldn't agree more.....

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.