Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Ever had an oil filter cost you 110 dollars? Read this crappy story. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ever-had-oil-filter-cost-you-110-dollars-read-crappy-49354.html)

killerformula 10-08-2004 10:57 AM

Ever had an oil filter cost you 110 dollars? Read this crappy story.

So I used the oil filter adaptor from my old 305 on my 388. In 77 they used a different filter on the bird, NOT the S25 you guys are used to. So anyway, i wasn't thinking when I got the filter, and I bought an s25 STP for it and plugged it in. ran it for a few minutes yesterday to move the oil around, then shut it down. Well, I left with a friend to go running and noticed a little oil by the back tires at like 1am last night, so I mopped it up with a towel. Came back to check on it today and the car was gone. Note in my apartment, landlord REAALLLY pissed. Don't bring your car back he says. Now he's calling his insurance company and has documented the damage with the city (whatever that means). Car was towed. Charge of 105 dollars.

So I guess my landlord will talk to me on tuesday about what is wrong with the lot. He's used the oil soaking stuff to clean it up. He says its pretty serious, and I'm sure it is, but I think by tuesday he'll realize that it wasn't as much oil as he thought it was (maybe half a quart or a quart).

Well I feel like a fool. Just goes to show you that attention to detail can go a long way.

Please save your digs, I'm already having a crap day.

K

Checy_Guy 10-08-2004 11:26 AM

Was it in a parking garage?

killerformula 10-08-2004 11:40 AM

blacktop parking lot

Checy_Guy 10-08-2004 11:58 AM

The guy seems to be getting a little to mad over half a quart of oil. whats the big deal if there some oil on the ground?

killerformula 10-08-2004 12:04 PM

well it looked like a lot because it spread out (you know how oil does) soa bout a good 4x4 or 4x6 foot patch with oil on it. But it doesn't take a whole aweful about of oil to creat that much area.

K

Checy_Guy 10-08-2004 12:12 PM

yeah i guess. Reminds me of last month when the fuel pump went at the drive through at mc donalds and I had to push my truck up the drive through then I when I was changing the pump gas leaked everywhere. it smelled real bad every person that drove past gave me this dirty look.:drunk:

tm454 10-08-2004 12:14 PM

its his lot...so he made a complaint to the culprit

motor oil and asphalt don't go well together...oil will stain concrete but can be cleaned up but on asphalt I think it has to be washed off with soap and water. How would any oil get to the ground? If its in the lease you can be help responsible for the damage if any to the parking lot. Maybe renters insurance may cover it...it wasn done deliberately just and accident...RIGHT?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Weimer 10-08-2004 12:28 PM

I would definately be re-reading the contract....I would also be looking at everyone else's parking spaces(including the landlords) I could almost guarantee that your car wouldn't be the only one in the lot with oil stains....If it isn't the only one...make sure that the landlord knows this and either have him reimburse you for the tow via cash or taken off the rent OR has all the other offenders cars towed also!
Later,
WEIMER

killerformula 10-08-2004 12:32 PM

hmm all the lease says with regard to parking is that the landlord isn't responsable if your stuff gets damaged or ripped off.

I thought that too, it sucks that it got on the asphalt, but it won't make it to the ground! How thick is the asphalt in those parkinglots, 4-6 inches? That and I thought I understood that asphalt is a petrolium based compound... eventually it should diffuse the oil throughout itself.

Such is the life of a hotrodder, eh? I need to focus on getting a proper place to work on and store my ride, this is getting rediculous.

Quote:

Originally posted by Weimer
I would definately be re-reading the contract....I would also be looking at everyone else's parking spaces(including the landlords) I could almost guarantee that your car wouldn't be the only one in the lot with oil stains....If it isn't the only one...make sure that the landlord knows this and either have him reimburse you for the tow via cash or taken off the rent OR has all the other offenders cars towed also!
Later,
WEIMER

well in his defense, theres a difference between an old car that drips a few drops here and there, and the pretty big puddle I left under my car. 4x6 feet or so man, it was a pretty good slick.

K

Beenaway2long 10-08-2004 03:01 PM

EPA is dispatching a bio-hazardous waste team as we speak. Environmentalist wackos are on their way. You will be executed with nonpolluting rubberbands at 30cm.

CrashFarmer2 10-08-2004 03:39 PM

All that fuss over a little oil, had your car towed, what a jerk! I'm sure he knew whose car it was.

Have you ever seen those big plastic bulk oil tubs that hold 330 gallons of oil? I had a guy on a fork lift pull one of those of the end of my truck on the shoulder of a highway in front of the implement dealer that was getting the oil. His chain was stuck in the pallet and he tried to jerk on it with the forklift, dropped it right on the ground, it split in two and 330 gallons of oil really makes a BIG MESS. I got somebody to sign the ticket and I was out of there before the EPA showed up. I'll bet that guy got fired.

coldknock 10-08-2004 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by killerformula
hmm all the lease says with regard to parking is that the landlord isn't responsable if your stuff gets damaged or ripped off.
Your lease should have a clause concerning vehicles. Basically says all your cars have to be fully operational. Some leases require that all cars present be liscensed and insured as well. You have to abide by the lease and so does the landlord.

Unless your lease clearly states that your car will be towed for leaking he can't legally do what he did. He should pay the bill and give you a lift to go get your car. If he doesn't, you can threaten to have him charged with auto-theft and bust his wallet in court.

Larry

[COLOR=YELLOW]THIS POST WAS MADE IN JEST. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.[/COLOR]

killerformula 10-08-2004 05:14 PM

gawd!!!!!!!!

Moved it out of the impound and changed the filter...............

FIVE FREAKING QUARTS LOW.

SOMEBODY DRIVE TO MICHIGAN AND PUT MY STUPID * OUT OF BUSINESS.

K:nono: :rolleyes: :pain: :boxing: :smash:

1BAD80 10-08-2004 05:51 PM

Is the oil plug missing ?

killerformula 10-08-2004 05:54 PM

ha ha very funny george.

K:rolleyes: :P