Hot Rod Forum banner

ever heard of repairable cars .com?

41K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  86Vette 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Basically everything that moves has to be repaired/replaced, along with anything electrical. The interior is usually trash due to mold/mildew etc. If you were looking for a car to restore, probably not anything to worry about as all of that would be addressed any way. If you are looking for a quick flip, scratch it off the list. I do have to admit, some of the recovered vehicles and other damaged ones seem to be fairly priced. Again if you planned to do a full restoration, some of those look like they would be a good start.

Kelly

#4 ·
Be careful they're not just a broker and buying through coparts anyway. When I got my Vette I went through a broker in Miami, got there in the end but they charged me nearly $1k and theyre staff were obviously all a few cans short of a six pack.

If you go to coparts website you can register and search their entire inventory. You cant buy direct unless you sign up with one of their approved brokers (on their website), then you can register and bid direct (plus small fee for broker).

If you buy a flood car make sure it aint salt water or sewerage, also sometimes the water doesnt make it inside. From what I understand insurance companies would rather write off a car rather than chase their tail repairing a car which continues to develope new sympoms, so plan on a project.

#9 ·
I get my cars from copart. every state is different but here in Ga. I can only buy salvage title cars , You have to be a car dealer or rebuilder to buy clean title cars. but water damage would be salvage which means you need to get the state to inspect them before getting a title. there are rules to follow about rebuilding salvage so read up on the laws in your state some states don't let you rebuild salvage and some titles are unrebuildable (parts only) be careful you also need lots of pictures and receipts for all parts replaced.
Remember this though, theres a lot of competition out there if your spending any kind of money check the car out good before you bid...

#10 ·
Thanks Bodyman,
I'd like to add Coparts allows a loophole where you register with a dealer than purchase anything you want officially through that approved dealer.
Also you can get the vehicle inspected (pay) if you cant make it there yourself.
But yeah most important check out local regs etc.
Thats why I bought an 86 (late 85 actually), in my area once a cars 30 years old its easier to register. I think mine actually has a clear title.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.