Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ever seen a painting explosion?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdupree
I guess it is time I started contributing to this forum. I know of two experiences.

First, in the late '60's a good friend of mine ran a body shop, with a typical poorly ventilated room he used for his paint booth. His habit was to complete a paint job, grab a cigarette, and go into the room to inspect his work. Never had a problem.

Second, in the late '80's a former co-worker was going to get into the fiberglass body business. He bought a nice chopper gun setup, had his molds made, etc. His story was that it was a cold day, so he was using some extra hardener to help the glass set up quicker. As he was cleaning the equipment with acetone, the hot resin started a fire, and he was luck to excape with his life.

Ron Dupree
Fiberglass will catch on fire if you lay it on too thick with a lot of catlyst. The reaction creates heat and if you layer it on really thick it will go up in flames. Someone I know almost set their work on fire. He said the best he could do was pour water over it after it started smoking.

I second the mythbusters. I have my doubts on how easy it is to get a perfectly concentrated mixture in an area large enough to be combustible. Like you I have never heard of any stories of explosions with car painting.