Hot Rod Forum banner

Ever seen a painting explosion?

24K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Rob Keller 
#1 ·
I asked this question as a part of the "paint/lighting" thread and no one responded. But the question got my curiosity going. So I figured I'd start a separate thread to explore it further.

There are a lot of potential "igniters" in a garage/shop situation. Fans, open flame heaters, electrical outlets, broken bulbs and maybe even static electricity from your unruly hair to a grounded object.

I would never suggest that anyone not take the greatest of precautions against creating an explosion. But I'm just curious as to documented, real life incidents of a hobby painter blowing themselves up with paint fumes and the conditions which caused any such accidents.

#27 ·
The only thing I have seen like this is when I wrked (briefly) building waterbed frames from wood. The small paint booth we used was full of 2x12 boards, frshly stained and cleared with lacquer. The painter was standing outside the door, lit a cigarette, we hear a whoosh, looked inside where the boards were laid out, they had a flame hovering above the boards. We used the extinguisher and made a mess, powder type, got a real good butt chewing, but with the booth made of wood, it could have been much worse.

#28 ·
http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/local/local_story_041234657.html

This is just one ive seen a while back when planning to build a paint booth,there is more thats been presented to us in safety classes and training on jobs that we are required to paint the fabricated steel in fab shops..i'll find them later and post...
Im a union ironworker and about every job we go on is required mandatory safety training on the type of job we are doing and the safety guys always have first hand vids/examples of the dangers to show us..
The danger is DEFINITLY there,not a myth..

All it takes is 1 unsuspecting right conditions and it happens at the blink of an eye.
I have to agree that alot of explosions/fires are not advertised in the media if it can be prevented because of lawsuites and denied insurance claims

#30 ·
D A N G E R Adult Supervision Req'd

Ha, saw a whole building full of paint burn, blow up and burn for hours once ignited. First was a very loud bang, and we just thought it was another accident at the intersection nearby. Nope, it was the initial explosion in a building full of paint and other flammables. Once it was going, not even the firemen were getting close. You could feel the heat from like 300' away. If you want to see just how fast something ignites in an enclosed space, like a garage or house, get yourself an EMPTY 3' x 3' x 3' box and place it in a wide open area away from anything combustible. Loosely ball up some paper to about 1/4 full and wet some with gasoline or laquer thinner - a small amount is all that is necessary, like a few ounces. Toss it into the box and stand back while you get the nerve to strike a match and fling it towards the box. When you get one near enough, the thing will make a giant fireball, suck the sides of the box in and blow 'em back out. It's quite the scene and exactly what will happen to any room or garage you are in. You get the picture.

#31 ·
I aint never seen a paint explosion before but the first time I ever lit a fart, I burnd all me pubies off and all da hair offa me leggs,dag um flames wasa jesta rollin outa me anckles started me shoe lases on fir too ,running jest made it worse,never lite a fart wit long pants on the day after eatin homemade chillie wit road kill fer meat ,ifin ya do..........wear shorts .....be safe....gas fumes r gas fumes no matter what kinda gas fumes day is,and it takes days to git da smell of burnt hair outa yer nose in you'll never hear da end of rember when your dumb a ss lite dat fart dat was da funniest thang we eva saw,sorry we couldnt put you out we were jesta laughing to hard and lost all controll over r muscel movement,Btw yer I brows eva gro back? and whys everyone call you brain dead body man? :confused: :mwink:

#33 · (Edited)
I beg to differ ding , If a little thing like a fart can cause so much grief just imagine what a full scale booth explosion can do. SERIOUSLY,I was thinking about ...WHY...a fire could start in a booth...."smoking" ? nobody's stupid enough to do that.....Then it hit me, electrical switches in a homemade booth......a spark from the switch could ignite the fumes or even a fan motor swiching on....So make sure to have your switches outside the booth and although I've done it ..using portable box fans concerns me now, paint booth fans have explosive proof motors , so be careful and do your home work when making a booth or painting in your home's garage, someones life may depend on you

#34 ·
Not to make any one think of doing anything but the safest approach .

But Deadbodyman. everything has to be Just right for it to go boom.

Too much fuel or O2 & nothing will happen.

Just like in a motor . if it floods it wont run.

I had a arse hole drop out a fuel tank & flip it dumping a few gallons on the ground while I was cutting a exhaust pipe with a torch. :pain:

I was suited up & felt it getting warm while people were yelling @ me to not blow slag into the fuel. :confused:

Well it went POOF & went out because it ran out of O2 inside the building.

If that would have happen closer to the door it would have been very bad.

R :thumbup:

#35 ·
although its never happend to me it concerns me. Electrical switches should be mounted on the outside.....so,if it does happen you wont be in there.My luck I'd have a date that night and loose all my hair eye brows mustashe and she would run before I got her drunk.(Ihate that)I'm no good at gambling.... a one in a million chance is not enough for me... so when shes not looking I tie her shoe laces together just in case she tries to get away

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.