Ever take your car cross country?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2003, 09:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Ever take your car cross country??

Any of you guys ever take your car cross country?? Have any problems? Was it a good experience?

I have my eye on this one '61 Falcon (might buy it, $1900). I was thinking about driving it across the country to NY for school in the fall. I live in CA, so maybe route 66 to chicago, then on the highway to NY. It seems like it would be an awesome experience. Then again, if the car broke down, I would be screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2003, 11:13 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would do it in a NY minute. Several times I have crossed it in my cars. Now I find its easier in the Winnebago. On one trip I lost the output shaft seal and bushing (66 fairlane) in Idaho. Went on to Wenatchee and fixed it my brothers driveway. GO for it!!! Just buy another car when you get there so you dont have to drive your car in the snow and SALT. Hate that!
Old 01-26-2003, 05:57 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

In our hobby, rods are built for many reasons by many people. Some are for show, some are for go, some are for local cruising, and some are for the wide open roads. I personally build mine for the long trips because you can enjoy most of the in between. I finished my 36 Ford Pu in 1981 in Homestead, Fla and one week later, I hooked up my bass boat, loaded the bed with tools and guns and left for Austin, Tx, as in moved. While there, I wheeled up to Oklahoma City and hooked my 36 Ford Coupe to a tow bar behind the 36 PU. No car haulers for me. 3 years later, it was back to Fla and the Coupe took up the rear behind the same litte truck again to storage in East, Tenn. 2 1/2 years later, the same little 36 PU and I buzzed to Ogden Utah in 4 days and one speeding ticket. Notice there has been no mention of any mechanical problems. 207,000 challangeing miles later, the PU is in rework and I'm thinking of another trip to the Northwest as soon as I make a shakedown cruise to the Fla Keys. Why build'em if you can't enjoy'em?!!?

Trees
Old 01-26-2003, 11:43 AM

I agree, why build'em if you can't enjoy'em.
We haven't finished my wifes nova yet although we drive it every day. But when its finished it will see long road trips.
Ever read magazine articles about some people who have everything done at some rod and custom shops, then are real pleased when they get 1000 or 1500 trouble free miles? I droped the engine in the nova,fired it up,timed it,let it cool,retorqued heads,reset valves, showered, then went out and put over 350 miles the first day! all troublefree and had the satisfaction of doing it myself! Now have over 5000 miles on it still troublefree and I am sure we spent less than those people in the mags.
Just had to vent-rodders should know a torque wrench from a checkbook.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:58 AM
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford

Last journal entry: Another one
Last photo:

Hey 54 I say go for it. Just make sure you take some emergency replacement parts along for the ride. You will probably want to tune it up before you leave. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor and fuel filters are all a good idea to take along. Good luck, hope you have fun.

Trees, sounds like you did an awesome job on that PU. Often times new cars cant even rack up that many miles w/o major problems.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

Never all the way, but I've gone from Lubbock, Tx to Dayton Nevada twice and gone all over Texas.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:19 PM
BLACK BEAST

Last photo:

I am going to take my car on a road trip when its done.Might be a few years or so...lol....but I'm gona do it
Old 01-26-2003, 06:43 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Never been farther west than colorado or farther north than OH/PA. Before any trip of length you always want to tune up and check all running gear and susp. parts. Always take some tools and spare parts for your car/bike. You'd be suprised what parts need to be special orderd. Be prepaired, crazy things happen when on a long distance trip, expecially when your alone.
If things go right I'll be making a few trips this year. Here to TN, CO, WA, PA, OH and maby even Canada, never been there, want to go, not sure if I'll make it yet, but if someone buys all the crap I'm trying to sell I will be. hopefully.

HK
Old 01-26-2003, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

Hk, hope you sell your stuff. Nothing like cruising the hiways in a machine you know bolt by bolt, screw by screw and knowing you can fix about anything that does break. The vehicle I have I would leave cross country tomorrow morning and not do a thing but load up, top off the gas and head out (wife's car excluded). Hope I was not too misleading in my PU post. I have had to make two unscheduled repairs in 20+ years on the road. The first one was a blown rear air shock because dumb me had let the exhaust pipe get too close to the bladder and it blew out. You have to buy a set and I still have the spare! The other thing was a white knuckler when the right rear main spring broke under full acceleration at about 80 about the time I was in the left lane of I 15. The rear end shifted aft abruptly immediately followed by putting enough tension on the emer brake cables to lock up the right wheel and full max brake on the left wheel. Lots of smoke and squealing of tires, fish tailing and seat sucking before I got into the grass in the median. Took me a few min to figure what happened. Cranked up and found I could go backwards ok. Backed down the median til the next exit ramp, backed across three lanes of traffic, down the ramp and two 90 degree turns into a 711 for the phone call to the wife to come pick me up. Nice things about old Fords with part of the origional steering column: you can lock them up and back the thing onto a tow dolly. HK are you going to the May Streetrod show in Knoxville ?

Trees
Old 01-26-2003, 07:36 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Trees, thanks, you and me both. Just can't seem to sell anything.
No I wasn't talking about the knoxville show. I was talking about the little meet a bunch of us east and middle east guys have been planning since last year. There was two or three threads posted about it in this section. Supposed to take place in june slap dead in the middle of TN. Just a long weekend type meet and greet and a short cruise to the 'vette museum in KY. Not sure if its still on, but theres a few months untill june. At this point I'm hoping I can go. Will start up a new thread for it, just for the newer guys

HK
Old 01-27-2003, 04:27 AM

Last photo:

HK count me in if you don't mind an old fart along. Hope to have my PU ready by then, but have a backup. Looking for the repost.

Trees
Old 01-27-2003, 04:41 AM

Last photo:

I have been from coast to coast and border to border in alot of old cars and the only trouble I have ever had was back in the early 80's with a set of hotrocks(firestone)tires. bought them the day before I took off and made it to some hole in the wall town in Kansas when with in five minutes of each other the tire blew the thread off.But lady luck was on my side because there was a firestone station on the exit the the tires blew. I plan for two flats but I did not plan for four brand new junk tires.
Other then that I have never had too much go wrong.I make a long trip cross country about every two years or so.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:56 AM

My grandfather took his 37 Panel truck no NY and back on a tour (we live in n.s) went w/out a hitch

and his 34 chev standard to nfld and back
Old 01-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Longest trip I have taken in the Willys was 5 hrs, one way up to Pleasanton Good Guys meet. Was +100F, my air conditioner is just barely and my seats are such that my butt goes to sleep within 15 minutes. Add to that, I-5 has spots where the pavement is so bad that I literally had to slow down to 20mph for many miles to keep from bouncing off the road with my stiff suspension and you can conclude the trip was a total BLAST! Loved evey inch. The Good Guys meet was another matter but you old timers know what I think of Good Guys. As luck would have it, a week after I was back home from that trek I heard a noise in my rear end and found an outer bearing that was totally lunched - grease, balls, retainer, everyting gone except for 3 remaining balls holding the thing together.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:19 AM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

Did Las Vegas to Vermontr in a 65 Plymouth Wagon and from Lubbock to Mass in a 55Chevy truck during winter.
54, not to be rude, but you don't hgave a hair on you butt if you don't do this!
Go buy the Millenium Falcon, baldy!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.