Is It Ever Too Hot To Shot Some Paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 07:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Is It Ever Too Hot To Shot Some Paint

I Lived In The San Francisco Bay Area Where Painting Was Not Much Of A Problem Temperature Wise. I Just Moved To The Valley Where Outside Temps Reach 105-110 Degrees Daytime. I Try The Graveyard Shift In My Garage But Its Between 90 And 100 Degrees In The Early Hours Of The Day(1am-5am). The Gartage Is Bout 10 To 15 Degrees Hotter. Is There A Temp That Is To Hot Or What. Please A Lil Advice, I Need To Work To Pay Bills But Its So Freaking Hot Here. Please Help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
BarryK will hopefully chime in here with some good advice. But I think what you will find is that with the proper reducer and applying product a little on the wet side you can certainly keep right on painting.

Sherwin Willams even had a clear reducer a few years ago called Desert or something like that for those hot climates. Just like the shops up in Alaska in the winter the cars still have to get fixed.

Have you called the paint or tech rep on the products you are using?

Brian
Old 07-29-2006, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

It use to be a standard joke in the 70's in FL when a northerner would move down and try to get a job as a painter.
The painting is different in FL with a temp of 95 and humidity of 80% than in the Midwest with the same temp.
It was a new learning curb for the painter and a lot of them did not stick around long enough to figure it out. (Starved out)

110 deg with 20% humidity is totally different than 80 deg and 40%.

So I guess the next question or assumption is you have low Humidity at that temp and that will actually make the painting easier for you.

Go with slow activator and have a gallon of as Brian said desert or very slow reducer handy for adding a few Oz's if needed.

Another trick pointed out to me from talking with painters in desert areas is adding 10-20% slow reducer because the solvent is sucked out of the paint before the paint hits the car.(True with low humidity)

I used a clear on a front end in TX last year when it was 111 or 113 but dry
I shot the first coat for the painter and waited 20-25 minutes for the clear to flash, that same clear in GA at 90 deg and 60% would have been flashed in 5 minutes.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:47 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

I hate humidity! There is nothing worse than painting in south AL humidity! You are so lucky to be in CA! You have no idea how bad it is here!..
Old 07-30-2006, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
The painting is different in FL with a temp of 95 and humidity of 80% than in the Midwest with the same temp.
We are having that type of weather right now, think our humidity % was up there. It really sucks. And I have to paint two colors and a bunch of taping off for it. Trying to work around the heat as well as bugs, moths, ect that find thier way into the garage is not fun. You guys can take your dang heat back. We have had a few weeks straight of this weather and I don't like it. I've been spending a lot of time in the garage wringing wet trying to get this thing painted. Try taping off for another color without trying to leave fingerprints from sweat when its in the 90's with a lot of humidity in the air. Now we are having thunderstorms. With my luck power will go out in the middle of spraying. If we keep having this stuff, I might as well move south. Then at least wouldn't have to worry too much about a bad winter. Heat advisory again for monday. I am about ready for this to stop anytime. Now I am sounding like the guys south who complain when its too cold.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

A national problem this year

And I'm sitting here in Upstate NY facing the same temp (90's) and humidity (80's+) problem - I have parts and pieces that rust 10 minutes after scuffing them for epoxy/primer. Right now I have a fenders, hood, splash panels sitting behind the dehumidifier in the basement waiting for cooler and dryer weather. The dehumidifier puts out dry warm air behind the evaporator and is at least keeping the metal from getting too badly rusted - I'm still painting, but it is the house exterior instead of a car - at least house paint isn't toxic and I don't need my bunny suit and fresh air system
Old 07-31-2006, 02:01 PM

it has cooled down a bit, but using a slower reducer and having to add some every 20 min or so did help things a lot. but what really sucked is when i am reaching to paint the roof or hood and a drop or two of sweat drips off my chin and lands right onto the fresh paint. now that is something that will make you want to pull you hair out. but live and and learn. anyways thanks all for your replies and wish all my fellow painters out there the best best of luck and keep on giving advice to those who need it. we all need help sometimes and with a sight like this we need not worry to much, help is a click away. thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 06:43 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

I was E Priming the roll bars and interior of my drag car on Sunday WHICH WAS A GREAT DAY at 83 and fairly dry, but wearing the tyvek suit.

HOW DO YOU GUYS DO IT EVERYDAY?? Dang it was hot in that suit! Granted,I am carrying alot of excess weight, but rolling around in that pillsbury doughboy suit, I SWEAR I lost about 2 gallons of water weight in the time it takes to spray one quart ! Wife said I looked like the Michelen Man. No sex for HER that night! LOL (Hid the batteries)

Its supposed to be 100 today, but "feels like" 112. I need to shoot the firewall and the interior with single stage tonight.

I plan on turning the air conditioning on to about 65-70, get it good and cold, then shut off the air and let er rip. Any forsee-able problems?

Anyone have the link to the "Good" harbor freight spray gun?
Old 08-01-2006, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

I painted a mustang this weekend. It was very hot and humid. When it came time to clear, it was really hard keeping a wet edge when you got back to a panel and have it all melt in, and was fighting dry streaks doing the big panels like the roof and hood. Was kinda trying to at least get the top half of the car as wet as i could and tryed to move it so if it was going to be dry it would be below the mouldings or on a small area, if that ,makes any sense. I was practically running around the car without any time to think. Looks like most will be salvageable after buffing, but did sand through a couple areas I got runs. Also had a lot of moisture sitting in the bottom of my small water trap that I had to keep draining. Spending a good deal of the weekend in a garage that is even warmer then it is outside is not fun. You get drained pretty quickly with the humidity. This northern guy can't take it and we've had three weeks straight of this weather. The forecast is Thunderstorms tonight, and the heat is finally suppose to leave us and get a little more normal temps around here. Thank God. All of you deep southerners that have that type of heat on a regular basis, I don't know how you manage to tough it out. A blizzard wouldn't look so bad anymore if we would have got one in the middle of our heat wave. No way was I putting on my coveralls at work, even when grinding fiberglass. Just let the fiberglass strands fly and stick to all the sweat. Its such fun being sweaty and itchy at the same time.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 AM

I don't know what equipment you are using , but look into the HVLP guns (high volume low pressure) less overspray, which means more product on the car. You will need a large compressor though. If you have to put it on wetter than normal you may have to wet block it back between coats if you want to reduce the orange peel affect. Dave
Old 09-26-2006, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

Maybe I'm just a big wuss, but I bought a bunch of painting supplies in the spring, planning on having a car painted by the 4th of July.

It's almost October, and the car isn't even sanded. LOL.

It was over 100 degrees for 20+ days in a row in August here. My shop gets even hotter. There's no way I'm getting in the Tyvek suit and going out there and hitting it. Now that it's cooling down, maybe I'll get some work done...

I have kept my paint supplies in a (dedicated paint) fridge set on minimum cool (it's probably in the mid/upper 60s for temperature). Tried to keep the epoxy primer, hi-build primer, clear, base, tape, and all the body putties from getting so hot over the summer.

I do not think I could have physically painted with it being so hot without making myself sick. So yes, it can be too hot to paint.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.