Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ever work on the impossible?
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2003, 07:25 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ever work on the impossible?

I'm not usually the one to complain but you know sometimes it's in order. I needed to change the fuel tank in my new truck, the person I bought it from had attempted a fix with JB weld and any body who knows can attest to the stuff is not fuel proof. 87 octane will work for a while but around here the gasoline companies add toluene to the the cheap stuff in order to raise the octane values. JB weld just won't cut it. While at work on Wed. I noticed a puddle under the truck and went to investigate to find gas had seeping out at such a rate to empty the full tank to a few gallons in around 12 hours. With little money until payday, Just bought new car you know, I bought one from a salvage yard and since I couldn't get out of work to being to busy, I sent our delivery driver up to pick it for me. As soon as he gets's back I realize it's the wrong one and the yard had already closed for the weekend. Thinking I could use a longer range anyway I tried to get the salvaged one to work but after fighting it in 103 degree weather eventually had to borrowed some money from my very understanding girlfriend(thanks honey) to get one new one that ran $130. Seemed like a lot of money for a tank to me. Had to drop the tank about 10 times trying to get the fuel lines reconnected. GM didn't leave enough room to get one hand in far enough to reconnect the lines so I thought that making the lines longer was the way to go only to find that with the tight clearances would cause the lines to pinch and would'nt sustain the needed amount of fuel for even idle situations. Now how in the H#ll ar you supposed to reconnect the line and get the clamps tight enough not to leak when you have to have the tank in it's complete installed state in order to get the lines close enough to reach? Much less get a tool to tighten the clamps that used to be those clamps that just use tension instead of the worm type. The ones you have to buy a special tool for removing or you may never get them off with regular pliers. I HATE THOSE THINGS. I know assembly plant attached those lines before the cab was installed so room wasn't an issue but good god what were they thinking. I even though about cutting the lines somewhere along the frame rail that runs across the back of the cab but even those were inside the frame so they would be above the chassis scrub line. I can't believe they made me jack up the cab to reconnect the lines. I could even see where you wouldn't care about a part that wasn't supposed to be serviced or a non-replaceable part but you would think GM would at least under coat the tank for rust or even move the tank to midship so damage couldn't occur. Anyway that's my ***** and I feel better. IF you have a similar story to tell then please, ***** about it here.