Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ever work on the impossible?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2003, 03:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ever do a power steering pump on a Taurus SHO? The third mount bolt is impossible to reach from the top or bottom, I got it by dangling a wrench from a string and used a wire to guide it onto the bolt. Broke two strings trying to pull hard enough to break it loose and had to resort to chain in the end. Thank God the rust hadn't ruined the bolt head yet, I would have had to drop the subframe and engine to get it out.

I was lucky, I changed the pump and flushed the system in only 8 hours (not counting swearing fits in the 102F (36C) heat), one of the bones in my forearm still aches weeks later. I sure have to hand it those guys doing new car repair, these things are brutal. Doing this kind of automotive repair is not even enjoyable, it's a test to see if you have the guts. When will modular become the rule instead of the exception, at least make the parts interchange.

I'm still not sure why the pump for the SHO was different between automatics and standards? It's the same car with the same rack etc.etc.etc.