Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ever work on the impossible?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2003, 05:51 AM

Last journal entry: almost ready to go in
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I once spent 4 1/2 - 5 hours installing a starter in a SBC.

One of the bolt holes in the block was missing along with a rather large chunk of the block casting. Someone had drilled and tapped a new hole with the intention (maybe?) of fitting a new bolt in a new location. Problem was it was in line with the starters main shaft, Some people amaze me. they must have realised their mistake because they had tried using silicone to hold the bolt in instead. Causing me to nearly crown myself with the starter when I undid the short bolt and the starter, to my surprise, fell out.

So I pondered the solution. In the end I decided a larger bolt could be threaded into a new BIGA$$ hole and be tapped to suit the smaller bolt in line with the starter mounting hole. This is where it became a challenge to do so, without hoisting the engine. I had a big mother bolt in my spares so I borrowed a tap for this and one for the original starter bolt. I thought easy..drill the hole tap it for this big bolt then, cut the bolt down to thread into the block............ WRONG!

I couldn't get the car high enough to drill coz the big drill bit for the job was super long and, added to the length of the drill, amounted to one big unit to swing under the car. So I think that there is enough metal missing from my block (as it was broken in a shell shape) so I could just use the tap to bore into the cast.

Well this did work but I had to use a shifter (crescent wrench to you guys) as the tap handle didn't fit into the available space with exhaust steering etc in the way. on top of this I had to hold the spanner on an angle which gave me less leverage. And this is maybe an hour into the job LOL. Finally I had a threaded hole to suit the big bolt.

Any way I mark and crop this big bolt so it is now just a bit of thread (I will call it a bung from now on to make this easier) and turn it into the block so it is flush. I had to grind a slot into the bung and use a screw driver to get it in the block. "Man all this for a starter".

With the starter held in place with the short bolt I marked on the bung where to drill for the long bolt hole. Remove the bung , drill and tap it for the long bolt. Now when I try to tighten the bolt the bung turns in the thread DUH!

So this is where the hole I mentioned earlier which lined up with the main shaft of the starter comes in handy. My tapping the big hole actually removed a small part of the hole, so I made a small groove on the bung and used a grub screw to hold the bung still.

You wouldn't believe that this took so long and when I was finished my hands and head ached LOL........ but I did it and the starter is still there after over two years daily driving.

Sorry bout the long tale but I couldn't have possibly shortened it and still told all of it

Craig

Last edited by klassik100; 08-18-2003 at 05:59 AM.