Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ever work on the impossible?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2003, 07:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

plausable impossible

i buy a 38 dodge hotrod Im 20years old its got a polly v8 and castiron 727 it goes great but decide togive it a freshen up
some guys in my club are whispering and pointing so i take it of the road (hey its driven daily) rebuild the mill the starter has trouble so i send it out. the guy says the bendix is NLA
but he can clean mine up put it back in it lunches the ring gear
but its atached to the tourqe converter in the local trading paper theres an add (alloy 727) i buy it less weight great
he sells me a starter too. fantastic strip the front pull out the combo go to bolt up the used bit nothing fits not even close
pollys have 8 bolt cranks latemodleshave 6 bolts and a flex plate so we draw up and cut an adaptor plate great (wrong)
we now need longer bolts and the front nose of the convertor
hits back of polly crank we grind nose for clerance it all fits great install ,start run , it hemorages all over floor,convertor needs to locate in cranksharft so we pull out he combo strip the mill to machine the crank to locate the new convertors nose get the auto rinsed out buy a friend there a little damage to the pump
he fixes that and we put it all back in
now im short one hand brake cast iron autos have a drum brake out back the rear crossmembers an inch out and the tailsharft
flanges look great but wont mate up (twenty years later)
i throw out the polly machined up a late modle 318bolted in the good stuff and bought a stallconvertor 2200 it went in to the auto only 2 clicks and flopped around the guy on the phone says it has to go in just give it a tap i say theres somthing wrong
dont be shy he says its just a burr or somthing (wrong )
hes put a late late modle insides in my stally there 19 and 23
splines now its on and wont come off so after major gas axe surgery and my new convertor in three pieces and beyond warrantee buy a newy its finally going back together
oh and allong the way we got a late model 8 3/4 diff with drums