Evercoat "kitty Hair" body filler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 AM
drive it like you stole it!

Last journal entry: engine
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Evercoat "kitty Hair" body filler

i am thinking about filling in the molding holes in my fenders of my 1971 Chevy Nova with this "kitty hair" from evercoat (Body filler with strands on fiberglass in it) will this work? i know i will need to finish it off with a metal glaze (iceing if you prefer) im good at spreading body filler to finish off metal work. i dont just fill in dents with bondo like they did in the old days ! but i dont know if this body filler should be used for that. i know you can weld it but thats not an option because i dont have a welder even tho i know how to weld quit good if i do say so my self!

also do you think that evercoat is a good brand? i have been useing them for a while now but not long enough to know if there good in the long run?

Thank you in advance,
Chevymastermind

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 AM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

rent a welder.

kitty hair is for Vettes
Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Auto Artistry

Last photo:

There is no replacement like welding holes shut if you want it to last.I would not just cover holes up with kitty hair.If you don't have a welder there is another option but still not like welding shut.If you can get to the back side and clean it up-grind or sand to bare metal you could cut small pieces of sheet metal,slightly larger than hole and then use panel bonder.After this sets up cover outside of hole with all metal or similar product.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

ive heard that all metal is bad. and because of the aluminum in it it expands and contracts with heat and cold like real metal does?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:52 AM

Until you can weld 'em up a good alternative in my experience is bondo with a little fiberglass screen for support so long as the holes ar not too big. First grind the rust or corrosion back to good metal and apply a little bondo over the screen, put the screen in place, a little more bondo under the patch from the other side of the cleaned panel and the proceed as normal (don't forget to seal the underside once cured). Been a while since I've done this but bondo had a little kit as I recall and it was really effective.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Last photo:

In my experience Evercoat has good products, and "kitty hair" is not just for Corvette's. It works very well for what you want to use it for.

Vince
Old 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
street rods forever

Last photo:

imo.....get someone to weld the holes in for you.Kitty hair is good but your only working on steel that is like 20 gauge thick.I definitely don't think that is thick enough for hair bonding.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

what about "All metal" or "metal 2 metal" by evercoat? would thoes work good for this application?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Borrow a small mig welder and weld them up, or save for one. You really shouldn't fill them with filler for a quality repair. Knocking the holes inward slightly and filling them will work for the short term but eventually it will fail with moisture absorbtion from the backside or the holes will show after some heat cycles-it's just not a good repair...

With a helper holding some copper on the backside of the hole they can be welded up in short time-maybe find someone with a welder and a couple spare hours to get them welded-you'd be way ahead qualitywise. If done right you'll need little to no filler to finish them off.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

well if there is no welder in the picture and you can get to the back of the panal then you could panal glue a patch on the backside then metal to metal the outside for the final repair but i agree with the others weld up the hole
Old 05-10-2007, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Knocking the holes inward slightly and filling them will work for the short term but eventually it will fail with moisture absorbtion from the backside or the holes will show after some heat cycles-it's just not a good repair...

what about if the kitty hair is water proof and wont be directly touched by water ever? because kitty hair is water proof!

and just to let you guys know this aint no show car it is my first car that i have been rebuilding from a bare body! and i know alot about cars! did all the work myself (including the engine building) and im only 17 and im probly just going to paint it myself. (ive painted 2 cars already) so i know all the things you need to do to make it so water dont get to the front side of it but i do want a quality repair.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Last journal entry: Stripping Paint + Buying New Metal
Last photo:

to be honest with you...from my experience it would probably be fine...if your building something real special obviously you wouldn't do it...and you would probably have a welder and what not already...and i realize they not everyone welds....actually...id say it safe to say the majority of people don't weld so finding someone isn't that easy without it costing money...im assuming these holes are probably no bigger than the opening of a straw or something...which isn't too big...any bigger than that tho....do it the right way or they will pop out sooner than you think lol
Old 05-11-2007, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

ya the holes are no bigger then this simily face and thats on my 15" computer screen

thank you for the input

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.