Evercoats: Fiber Tech, Everglass, Kitty Hair, Tiger Hair, Metal to Metal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 06:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Evercoats: Fiber Tech, Everglass, Kitty Hair, Tiger Hair, Metal to Metal

I asked about the rust under vinyl top question. I have a 20 year old who is restoring his car that works for me. He will be doing everything himself with mine and your guidance. He has a 69 Mustang coupe that in some places the roof looks like swiss cheese. He has to fix this roof, very limited budget. After he strips all the old fiberglass off he will epoxy prime using SPI epoxy and than fill the holes. Which of the above products would you suggest he use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2005, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

I would vote for the Everglass or Kitty hair.
Not even sure it would make a difference but I would use whatever one is the finest or smallest fiber like Duraglass for ease of use.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

I agree with Barry, Everglass would be top of the list IMO, USC duraglass and Marson's Marglass are also comparable. Kitty hair, tiger hair, long and strong, and similar are for fiberglass work IMO or used car boogerups.

Evercoat's newer Glass Lite is supposed to be basically the same as their Everglass but much easier sanding, I've used it on a few jobs in repairs where I'd normally have used everglass and do like how it sands easier-almost comparable to regular fillers.

Metal to metal is junk IMO, I've seen too many failures with this product to ever consider using it again or recomending it. The vendors in this area quit stocking it years ago--nobody around here uses it.

Without replacing the rusted metal you're going to lose some lifespan with the repair. If you're filling the holes be sure to coat the backside with something to seal the inside from the additional oxygen needed for corrosion to continue. 3M's rustfighter or any type of cavity wax would be the best IMO. Epoxy could be applied to the interior in areas that can be accessed for cleaning- there is no sense in applying epoxy to any surface that can't be prepped properly-coatings like the rustfighter contain wax and mild petroleum solvents that will saturate into the surface of rust and cling forming a waxy coating effectively sealing the surface from oxygen.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM

filling with kitty hair

i have used the kitty hair on various applications, one recommendation i would make is to clean the backside really well then use fiberglass resin with some thin glass mat followed by another coat of resin once first layer is hardened. then move to the top side and you will have a good backing of a like product to which long strand kitty hair can be applied(thin layer), follow this with a layer of short strand kitty hair. let harden then sand to approximate shape and finish off with a skim of body filler. once primed and sealed like this you will have a repair which will last a long time.
in any repair ensuring the areas are very clean and treated with metal prep is vital to a good job and proper adhesion.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

You have a 1968 Mustang Coupe...a desirable car...any reason you don't want to fix it properly by replacing the rust with metal instead of fiberglass. If it we're my car it would be repaired properly or not repaired at all. In my opinion fiberglass, either out of a can or coming off of a roll is not the repair a 1968 Mustang Coupe deserves and you may be doing more damage to a collectable car than you realize. I understand that you have a limited budget, save your money and do it right. Even if you put a vinyl top back on, you'll always know what's underneath and you can expect it to bubble in the future and then it may be to far gone to repair it properly. I've seen it much to many times in the past.

Only my opinion.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.